Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1652
1652 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 744467 times

Random files
War_veterans2.jpg
World War veterans831 viewsHelensburgh veterans of the First and Second World Wars pictured at a reunion at the burgh home of Colonel McConnell, DSO, TD (front row, centre), circa 1950. Seated in the front row, second from the left, is World War One Battle of the Somme survivor Archibald Robertson, whose granddaughter Joan Spencer supplied this image. Third from the right in the standing front row is James Taylor, who owned the Music Shop in James Street, and second from the right is Walter S.Bryden, son of Provost Sam Bryden and owner of Macneur & Bryden Ltd. and the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times.
sinclair_st.jpg
Sinclair Street looking south425 viewsTaken from the junction of Princes Street and Sinclair Street.
RNLI-Rhu-KS.jpg
Demonstration206 viewsThe Rhu RNLI rescue boat gave a demonstration of a rescue as part of the bicentenary celebrations off Helensburgh pier on Saturday August 4 2012. In the background is HMS Pursuer, a patrol boat from the Clyde Naval Base at Faslane, which led the nautical convoy from Rhu Marina to Helensburgh. Photo by Kenneth Speirs.
Ardenconnel_House_group.jpg
Methodist holiday263 viewsA group of Methodists of all ages on holiday at Ardenconnel House in Rhu in the mid-1930s. The B-listed mansion was built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century, and Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image by Jean M.Watson.
Hermitage-collecting-w.jpg
Hermitage collection199 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.
Image1-152.jpg
West Princes Street713 viewsWest Princes Street looking east. Date unknown.
Shandon_Hydro278.jpg
Shandon Hydro384 viewsA card advertising the delights of Shandon Hydropathic Hotel, noted as being in North Britain, pictured as a steamer goes past in the Gareloch. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
Waverley-presentation.jpg
Print presented499 viewsComet bicentenary committee and Helensburgh Heritage Trust chairman Stewart Noble presents a signed and framed print of Neil MacLeod's painting of the Comet replica to the captain of the world's last sea-going paddle steamer PS 'Waverley to mark the bicentenary in July 2012. Photo by Judy Noble.

Last additions
McKellar-butcher-w.jpg
Meat delivery16 viewsHelensburgh butcher Peter McKellar, assisted by a young boy, delivers meat to one of the Helensburgh mansions with a rhododendron-ringed drive. Image date unknown.Oct 08, 2014
Portincaple-w.jpg
Portincaple shore13 viewsA very old image of Portincaple, the fishing village on Loch Long down the hill from Whistlefield. Image date unknown.Oct 08, 2014
St-Joseph_s-Communion-1957-w.jpg
First Communicants15 viewsFirst Communicants at Helensburgh's St Joseph's Church. Image, circa 1957, supplied by John Booth whose youngest brother Harry is in the back row of the picture 4th boy from the end on the right.Oct 08, 2014
Luss-boat-houses-2-w.jpg
Houseboats at Luss16 viewsHouseboats moored opposite Aldochlay, near Luss, on Loch Lomond. Opposite is Swan Island. Image date unknown.Oct 06, 2014
Luss-houseboats-1-w.jpg
Houseboats at Luss16 viewsHouseboats moored opposite Aldochlay, near Luss, on Loch Lomond. Image date unknown.Oct 06, 2014
Sowing-corn-1906-Loch-Lomond-w.jpg
Sowing corn12 viewsTwo farm workers prepare to sow corn on the hillside above Loch Lomond. Image circa 1906.Oct 06, 2014
Patients-at-wishing-well.jpg
At the Wishing Well17 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Here some of the patients and staff are seen posing beside the Wishing Well in Hermitage Park. Image date unknown.Oct 06, 2014
Boys-of-Helensburgh-w.jpg
The Boys of Helensburgh62 viewsAn old Victorian song sheet for 'The Boys of Helensburgh', printed in Larne. It refers to a parade of Orangemen in the town sometime in the 19th century.Sep 08, 2014