Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1817
1817 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1089842 times

Random files
Old_Colquhoun_Square10.jpg
Colquhoun Square in the early 1900s971 viewsThis picture shows one of two granite water fountains which stood in the square, and also the centenery monument in the centre of West Princes Street before it was moved to the north west quadrant for road safety reasons.
Pier_landing_craft.jpg
Landing Craft679 viewsTwo Army Landing Craft moored at the pier are seen from the Henry Bell obelisk on Helensburgh seafront. They were used to supply the Benbecula Rocket Range in the Outer Hebrides, collecting supplies from Rhu Hangars, and after complaints from Helensburgh people about noise from their generators they were moved to Rhu Hangars. Image circa 1965 supplied by Marion Gillies.
St-Bride_s-Church-sketch.jpg
Sketch of St Bride's Church312 viewsA sketch of St Bride's Church, which stood in West King Street at the junction with John Street. It is from the book 'Sketches of Churches and Clergy, published by Macneur and Bryden Ltd. of Helensburgh in 1889. Originally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.
Stephen-Conroy-Nude-Study-w.jpg
Nude Study by Stephen Conroy401 viewsNude Study by highly regarded Helensburgh artist Stephen Conroy, is an 18 x 14 inches charcoal drawing on paper which was originally purchased at the Glasgow School of Art Degree Show in 1987, the year it was drawn. Inscribed by the artist on the reverse side, it was offered for sale in October 2011 at £4,750. Stephen, whose paintings can sell for as much as £100,000, was born in Helensburgh in 1964, and brought up in Renton. He lives near Cardross. Image supplied by Ewan Mundy Fine Art, Glasgow.
Henry_Bell_grave.jpg
Henry Bell's grave343 viewsThe grave of steamship pioneer Henry Bell in Rhu Churchyard. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Glen_Fruin_cottages004.jpg
Glen Fruin cottages416 viewsTwo young girls are pictured in front of cottages in Glen Fruin in this old image published by Stewart, Stationer, Helensburgh.
1953-Neerday-swimmers5396.jpg
Jubilant Ne'erday swimmers782 viewsLily Finnighan, Helen McDonagh and Jenny Burgess celebrate after taking part in the 1953 Ne'erday Swim at Helensburgh pier. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Farm_ladies_Shearer-query-w.jpg
Farm ladies party404 viewsA FORMER Helensburgh woman now living in Shetland, Cathy Shearer, is trying to find out more about this photo of a group of women, including her granny, Barbara McAdam (back row 5th from left), who died in 1954 aged 67. The photo was taken between 1940-1954 by Alexandria photographers Leddy and Glen, probably in the Helensburgh area. At the time Barbara lived at either Callendoune Farm, Helensburgh, or Crossburn Cottage half a mile from the Cross Keys towards Luss. She would like to find out where and when the photo was taken, who the group of women are and what the occasion is. If you can help, please email the editor of this website.

Last additions
John-Logie-Baird-1930-w.jpg
Portrait29 viewsAn August 23 1930 photo of John Logie Baird.Nov 07, 2016
Kaye-Don-postcard.jpg
World record42 viewsA multi-view postcard issued to mark Kaye Don setting a world water speed record on Loch Lomond on July 18 1932 in Miss England 111, when he was timed at 119.81 mph. On the back of the card it states: "Miss England 111 owned by Lord Wakefield, and driven by Kaye Don, cost £40,000 to build. Her engines developed 5,000 Horse Power, designed to give her a speed of 200mph." Image supplied by Alistair McIntyre.Oct 16, 2016
Clyde-Hovercraft-w.jpg
Hovercraft at speed54 viewsThe Clyde Hover Ferries Westland SRN6 hovercraft, which operated a service from Craigendoran pier to Greenock from 1965-6 is pictured. Powered by a Bristol-Siddeley Marine Gnome engine, it was 48 foot long, could carry 48 passengers, and had a maximum speed over calm water of 64 knots. However the service attracted fewer passengers than hoped for, and did not prove viable. Oct 03, 2016
SRN6-at-Craigendoran-w.jpg
Hover travel69 viewsThe Clyde Hover Ferries Westland SRN6 hovercraft, which operated a service from Craigendoran pier to Greenock from 1965-6 is pictured arriving at Craigendoran pier. Powered by a Bristol-Siddeley Marine Gnome engine, it was 48 foot long, could carry 48 passengers, and had a maximum speed over calm water of 64 knots. However the service attracted fewer passengers than hoped for, and did not prove viable. Image supplied by Robert Whitton.Sep 28, 2016
1st-Helensburgh-BB-circa-1958-w.jpg
On parade79 viewsThe 1st Helensburgh Company of the Boys Brigade pictured after a Founder's Day Church Parade, circa 1959. Photo supplied by Iain McAllister.Sep 26, 2016
Gareloch-shipping027-w.jpg
Laid up shipping74 viewsMerchant shipping laid up in the Gareloch off Clynder during the 1930s.Sep 07, 2016
Helensburgh-from-pier-w.jpg
Burgh from pier87 viewsA 1959 image looking down the pier towards the town centre.Sep 07, 2016
Submarine-w.jpg
HMS Traveller75 viewsThe Royal Navy T class submarine Traveller in the Gareloch in April 1942. Built by Scotts of Greenock and launched in August 1941, Traveller spent most of her career in the Mediterranean. She was unsuccessful in most of her attacks, sinking the Italian merchantman Albachiara, but launching failed attacks against the Italian merchant ship Ezilda Croce, the Italian 'small light cruiser', the Italian tanker Proserpina and the Italian torpedo boats Castore and Ciclone. Traveller left Malta on November 28 1942 for a patrol in the Gulf of Taranto. She carried out a reconnaissance of Taranto harbour for a Chariot human torpedo attack, but never returned and is presumed to have hit a mine.Sep 07, 2016