Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1645
1645 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 717866 times

Random files
Russell_Moffat_Operatic_Oklahoma1976-2.jpg
Oklahoma48 viewsEric McKenzie, Gordon Hanning, James Gow, Craig Rankin, Marjorie Fullerton and Helen Donaldson from the cast of the 1976 Helensburgh Amateur Operatic Society production of Oklahoma in the Victoria Hall. Image from the show programme supplied by Russell Moffatt through the Helensburgh Memories Facebook page.
Sailing_Club_dance_1972.jpg
Helensburgh Sailing Club 1972625 viewsMembers of Helensburgh Sailing Club at their annual dance in the Queen's Hotel in February 1972.
Q-Mum_Faslane.jpg
The late Queen Mother276 viewsThe late Queen Mother is pictured at the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane in May 1968.
Arrochar_Sour_Milk_Burn.jpg
The 'Sour Milk Burn'274 viewsThis fast flowing burn and waterfall at Arrochar is known as the Sour Milk Burn. Image circa 1904.
Garelochhead_boats.jpg
Garelochhead341 viewsLooking north towards east Garelochhead. Image circa 1905.
Helensburgh_east2133.jpg
Looking east669 viewsView east from the pier, circa 1910.
west_princes_st.jpg
West Princes Street493 viewsThis postcard is titled East Princess (two obvious mistakes!) Street looking east. The building on the right is now the Royal Bank of Scotland, and the nearest shop on the left is now Anne Of Loudounville. The fences either side form part of Colquhoun Square. Image supplied by Jim Chestnut, date unknown.
Esplanade1514.jpg
Helensburgh Esplanade722 viewsAll ages enjoy the seafront. Date unknown.

Last additions
Boys-of-Helensburgh-w.jpg
The Boys of Helensburgh25 viewsAn old Victorian song sheet for 'The Boys of Helensburgh', printed in Larne. It refers to a parade of Orangemen in the town sometime in the 19th century.Sep 08, 2014
James_Kay_-_First_Snow,_Whistlefield,_Loch_Long_-_oil_on_canvas.jpg
First Snow at Whistlefield37 viewsAn oil on canvas painting by James Kay RSA RSW entitled 'First Snow at Whistlefield", which in 2014 was valued at £1,500. Kay lived there at Crimea (now Dalriada), Portincaple for 33 years and worked in a studio at 79 West Regent Street, Glasgow. The house belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean War on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.Sep 06, 2014
James_Kay_-_Whistlefield,_Gareloch_-_oil.jpg
Whistlefield, Gareloch22 viewsAn oil painting by James Kay RSA RSW entitled 'Whistlefield, Gareloch', which in 2014 was valued at £9,500. Kay lived there at Crimea (now Dalriada), Portincaple for 33 years and worked in a studio at 79 West Regent Street, Glasgow. The house belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean War on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.Sep 06, 2014
Helensburgh-pier-storm.jpg
Helensburgh Pier32 viewsAn atmospheric evening image of Helensburgh Pier. Image date unknown.Sep 05, 2014
Inverclyde-Cove020-w.jpg
Inverclyde, Cove35 viewsInverclyde at Cove while it was a Holiday Home run by Glasgow YMCA. Also known as Hartfield House, this Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. Image circa 1913.Sep 05, 2014
Queen_s-Hotel019-w.jpg
Queen's Hotel35 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812 and was the first Provost of Helensburgh. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.Sep 05, 2014
Susie_s-Castle018-w.jpg
Susie's Castle36 viewsSusie lived for 60 years in the upturned fishing smack, her 'castle' on the Loch Long shore at Portincaple, and postcards of her home were sold. In this image she is standing at the door knitting and puffing her clay pipe. Her husband Jamie made a living from fishing, and the creel or basket in the foreground would be used for carrying fish. If he had a good catch, he would barrel it up to Whistlefield Station and take the train to Glasgow for the fish market. Image circa 1912.Sep 05, 2014
Victoria-Infirmary017-w.jpg
The Victoria Infirmary35 viewsA 1908 image of the Victoria Infirmary in East King Street. It was built in 1895 to the design of the celebrated architect William Leiper, remains partly in use today. The gatehouse was demolished some years ago.Sep 05, 2014