Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage
Category Albums Files
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


21 1580
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

37 files, last one added on May 13, 2013

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

28 files, last one added on Jun 27, 2012

Works of art


Luss_village_Taylor.jpg

44 files, last one added on Jul 22, 2013

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

69 files, last one added on Jan 25, 2014

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

89 files, last one added on Feb 12, 2014

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

49 files, last one added on Feb 20, 2013

Henry Bell and the Comet


Henry-Bell-obelisk-Bowling-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on May 01, 2013

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

65 files, last one added on Apr 22, 2014

Organisations


2002-Rotary-bookstall-w.jpg

63 files, last one added on Jan 27, 2014

Royal Visits


1906_royal_visit.jpg

23 files, last one added on Nov 20, 2011

Mansions


Shandon_conference.jpg

74 files, last one added on Dec 10, 2013

Places — Burgh


Sinclair_Street~1.jpg

256 files, last one added on Jan 25, 2014

Places — District


Gareloch_ships.jpg

188 files, last one added on Jan 25, 2014

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

50 files, last one added on Apr 22, 2014

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

62 files, last one added on Jul 22, 2013

Shops


Margaret_Reece_sweet_shop.jpg

28 files, last one added on May 11, 2013

Transport — General


Garelochhead_Coach_Services_bus.jpg

34 files, last one added on Jul 09, 2012

Transport — Railways


Craigendoran-turntable-w.jpg

62 files, last one added on Apr 22, 2014

Transport — Steamers


Steamers-at-Craigendoran-w.jpg

70 files, last one added on Mar 23, 2013

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

119 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2013

21 albums on 2 page(s) 1


Random files - Heritage
Seafront-bandstand065-w.jpg
347 viewsThe band playing in the now demolished Helensburgh seafront bandstand in what is now the pier car park attracted a big audience on this occasion. Image date unknown.
Shandon_fishpond.jpg
Shandon Hydro fish pond340 viewsA fish pond in the grounds of Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, the magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished. Image circa 1910.
Deborah_Kerr___Viertel.jpg
Deborah Kerr and Peter Viertel387 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr with her second husband, the German-born, Californian-educated author and screenwriter Peter Viertel, photographed in their home in Klosters, Switzerland, in September 1964 four years after their marriage. She died in England on October 16 2007, and he died 19 days later on November 4 in Marbella, Spain, where they had a second home.
Baird_and_Ben_Clapp007.jpg
Television transmitter232 viewsJohn Logie Baird at the transmitter of his experimental radio station G2KZ from which television was transmitted across the Atlantic in February 1928. Looking on is his technical assistant, Ben Clapp.
Helensburgh_Amateurs_1907.jpg
Helensburgh FC 1907238 viewsThe Helensburgh team and management in 1907. In the middle row third from right is Abraham Reece. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
Gareloch.jpg
Gareloch ship193 viewsA merchant ship is laid up in the Gareloch. Image circa 1938.
Larchfield-1st-XV-1968.jpg
Larchfield 1st XV 1967-8611 viewsThis Larchfield School 1st XV played 15 matches, winning and losing seven and drawing one. Front: David Ferguson, Nigel Barge, Jeremy Russell, Keith Jamieson; middle: Hugh Walker, Michael Hunter, Stewart Piggott (capt), Kenneth Read, Barry Hunter; back: Alan McKenzie, Hamish Berrie, Tom Stewart, David Taylor, Donald Ferguson, Andrew MacFarlane, Stephen Burnhill. Larchfield is now part of Lomond School.
Arrochar-engine5.jpg
Arrochar engine420 viewsA goods engine at Arrochar and Tarbet Station on the West Highland Line. It appears to be no.9438. Image date unknown.

Last additions - Heritage
Gareloch-battleships-w.jpg
Gareloch battleships3 viewsTwo battleships are seen laid up in the Gareloch. Three King George battleships were laid up in the loch, and the vessel broadside in the image is one of them and the one bow facing could be another. The three were King George V, Anson and the John Brown's-built Duke of York. Anson was towed to the Gareloch in 1951, purchased by Shipbreaking Industries at Faslane on December 17 1957 and subsequently scrapped. Duke of York was moved to the Gareloch in November 1951 and scrapped at Faslane from May 1957. King George V also came to the Gareloch and in 1958 was moved to the ship breaking firm of Arnott Young and Co. in Dalmuir. These facts date the image, supplied by Brian Cook, to between 1951 and 1957.Apr 22, 2014
Craigendoran-turntable-w.jpg
Craigendoran turntable5 viewsThe turntable which used to exist at Craigendoran, beside the current Waitrose site. The locomotive is a brand-new B1 class built for the London and North-Eastern Railway. This class was introduced in 1942 and many of them were built by the North British Locomotive Company at their Hyde Park works in Springburn, Glasgow. Immediately after the locomotives were built they were sent on a trial run to Craigendoran where they were turned on the turntable and then travelled back to Springburn. Image supplied by Billy Thomson.Apr 22, 2014
1970-03-old-parish-church-w.jpg
Old Parish Church2 viewsThe Old Parish Church on Helensburgh seafront, circa 1970, which stood on the seafront and later became a Church of Scotland centre for servicemen and women. It was opened on May 23 1847. Now only the tower is standing, and contains the tourist information office. Image by Stewart Noble.Apr 22, 2014
King-George-letter-w.jpg
King's letter60 viewsThis letter was a personal message following World War Two from King George to schoolchildren throughout Britain, sent on June 8 1946. This copy was donated to Helensburgh Heritage Trust by Trust director Cecilia Dunlop.Feb 19, 2014
Larchfield-School-1951-w.jpg
Larchfield School128 viewsA 1951 image of the staff and pupils of Helensburgh's Larchfield School outside the Colquhoun Street building. It later became part of Lomond School, but when that was consolidated on the St Bride's site it was sold to Cala Homes for development. The headmaster at the time was Stephen Hutchinson, later to become a minister, and other masters included Mr Barclay-Smith, Mr Goldsmith, Mr Denny and Mr Geddes. Image supplied by former pupil Thomas Mann.Feb 12, 2014
General-De-Gaulle-Xmas-Eve-42-w.jpg
De Gaulle at Cove106 viewsFree French leader General Charles De Gaulle, later to become President of France, visited Free French naval wounded at the World War Two Knockderry Hospital in Cove — in the requisitioned Knockderry Castle — on Christmas Eve 1942. Having arrived with his aides by taxi from Kilcreggan Pier, driven by local man Tom McNeilage, he spent an hour with the patients and distributed gifts. The Secretary of State for Scotland would have attended to welcome him, but did not have enough notice of the visit. Photo by James Hall of Greenock, which is in the Norman Burniston Collection, published by kind permission of Norman Burniston.Feb 10, 2014
Hermitage-House-croquet1.jpg
Croquet for all107 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. This photo by Helensburgh lamplighter Edward Graham, supplied by his great great grandson Ian MacQuire, shows patients playing croquet.Feb 04, 2014
Hermitage-House-good-luck.jpg
Hermitage Hospital fundraising110 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Patients also raised funds. Photo by Helensburgh lamplighter Edward Graham, supplied by his great great grandson Ian MacQuire.Feb 04, 2014