Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

41 files, last one added on Jan 26, 2015

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

31 files, last one added on Aug 19, 2014

Works of art


Whitelaw-Hamilton-Glen-Fruin-w.jpg

50 files, last one added on Jan 26, 2015

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

77 files, last one added on Feb 23, 2015

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

98 files, last one added on Nov 30, 2014

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

51 files, last one added on May 14, 2014

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

110 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Andrew-Bonar-Law-w.jpg

18 files, last one added on Dec 09, 2014

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

74 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014

Organisations


Hiawatha-cast.jpg

66 files, last one added on Feb 23, 2015

Royal Visits


1906_royal_visit.jpg

23 files, last one added on Nov 20, 2011

Mansions


Kilmahew_Castle_2015-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Feb 02, 2015

Places — Burgh


Colquhoun_Square_1959.jpg

268 files, last one added on Jan 14, 2015

Places — District


Kidston-Gareloch-w.jpg

208 files, last one added on Feb 23, 2015

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

53 files, last one added on Feb 05, 2015

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

62 files, last one added on Jul 22, 2013

Shops


Margaret_Reece_sweet_shop.jpg

28 files, last one added on May 11, 2013

Transport — General


Garelochhead_Coach_Services_bus.jpg

34 files, last one added on Jul 09, 2012

Transport — Railways


Luss-houseboats-1-w.jpg

66 files, last one added on Oct 06, 2014

Transport — Steamers


PS-Redgauntlet-w.jpg

71 files, last one added on Jul 12, 2014

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

120 files, last one added on Sep 05, 2014

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

61 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015

22 albums on 1 page(s)

Random files - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Conservative_Dance1.jpg
Tories Night Out469 viewsRevellers at the Conservative Dance in the Queen’s Hotel in the mid 1950s. The image was supplied by former Helensburgh resident Sheila Allen (nee Cooper), who says that the picture was taken in the year that Lady Molly Huggins stood unsuccessfully as Conservative candidate for West Dunbartonshire.
Glen_Loin_Youth_Hostel.jpg
Glen Loin Youth Hostel349 viewsThe Glen Loin Youth Hostel, near the Succoth Burn at Arrochar, was provided for the Scottish Youth Hostels Association by a grant from the Carnegie U.K. Trustees and was opened on March 19 1932 by Sir John Clerk Maxwell. It was very popular with climbers, as it was at the foot of the 'Arrochar Alps', and was in operation from 1932 to 1950. Image circa 1939.
West-Free-Church-porch-1892-w1.jpg
1892 Leiper Porch347 viewsA ceremony taking place during the construction of the William Leiper Porch at the West Free Church (now West Kirk) in mid-1982. The porch was built as a memorial to the Rev Alexander Anderson, minister of the church, who died in 1891. On the platform are two choirs and church dignitaries, and a large crowd are watching. On a ladder can be seen the name of local painting and decorating firm J.W.McCulloch who were in business in Colquhoun Square until a few years ago. Image by kind permission of the West Kirk.
Logie-Baird-grave-w.jpg
Family grave127 viewsThe Baird family grave in Helensburgh Cemetery. Among those buried there are the Rev John Baird, his son TV inventor John Logie Baird, and JLB's wife Margaret. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Morrison_Jeweller7.jpg
Morrison Jeweller483 viewsThe 46 West Clyde Street premises of John Morrison, F.S.M.C., Watchmaker and Jeweller, and Practical Sight Testing Optician, established 1846. He announced: “I have an excellent variety of Wedding Presents, Birthday, Congratulatory Gifts, and Mementoes of Scotland. My stock is unique in price and selection. Scotch Pebble Jewellery a Speciality.”
Old-Parish-Church-interior.jpg
Old Parish Church interior352 viewsThe interior of Helensburgh's Old Parish Church, which stood on the seafront and later became a Church of Scotland centre for servicemen and women. Now only the tower is standing, and contains the tourist information office. Image supplied by the Rev David Clark.
Craigendoran-Swim102.jpg
Pier to pier swim742 viewsEntrants in the annual Craigendoran pier to Helensburgh pier race run by Helensburgh Amateur Swimming Club are pictured on Craigendoran pier before the start. The winners were Jacqueline Craig (2nd from right) and Ken Mercer (right). Image circa 1965.
East_Clyde_Street.jpg
East Clyde Street556 viewsLooking east along East Clyde Street from the pier towards the Granary Restaurant and the Old Parish Church. Image circa 1959.

Last additions - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Tom-Guthrie-seaplane-w.jpg
Tom Guthrie's seaplane9 viewsRhu man Tom Guthrie, son of Glasgow Boy artist Sir James Guthrie, set up a company called Clyde Flying Boats Ltd. in 1933, offering pleasure flights at ten shillings and to see Loch Lomond for £1. The aircraft, seen at Helensburgh pier, was a SARO Cutty Sark, and was kept overnight at Inchmurrin Island on Loch Lomond.Feb 23, 2015
Kidston-Gareloch-w.jpg
Gareloch from Kidston9 viewsA sunlit evening view of the Gareloch from Kidston Park. Image circa 2005 by Donald Fullarton.Feb 23, 2015
Hiawatha-cast.jpg
Hiawatha cast10 viewsThe cast of the local production of 'Hiawatha's Wedding Feast and Death of Minnehaha' at Helensburgh's Victoria Hall on April 18 1906. The conductor was E.W.Stanton, the cellist G.H.Stanton, and the soloists Major (later Provost) John F.Duncan and Mrs Hyllested. William Battrum Lever (also a Provost) played the harmonium. Photo by Robert Thorburn, supplied by his grandson Sandy Thorburn.Feb 23, 2015
maclarens-garage-w.jpg
MacLaren's Garage15 viewsThis garage stood at the junction of East King Street and Lomond Street until it was destroyed by fire in the 1970s, when it was Phipps Motors. Photo by Robert Thorburn, supplied by his grandson Sandy Thorburn. Image date unknown.Feb 23, 2015
Hel-Times-postcard-w.jpg
Spoof card15 viewsA card produced by Valentine's of Dundee showing a poster for an Extra Special Edition of the Helensburgh Times announcing someone's arrival in the town. A blank line was left to fill in the name — in this case Dickie. Image circa 1912.Feb 10, 2015
St-Bride_s-Church-sketch.jpg
Sketch of St Bride's Church25 viewsA sketch of St Bride's Church, which stood in West King Street at the junction with John Street. It is from the book 'Sketches of Churches and Clergy, published by Macneur and Bryden Ltd. of Helensburgh in 1889. Originally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.Feb 05, 2015
Kilmahew_Castle_2015-w.jpg
Kilmahew Castle41 viewsKilmahew Castle at Cardross was built on land granted to the Napier family by Malcolm, the Earl of Lennox, around 1290. The castle, originally a four-storey 16th century tower house, was built in the 16th century by the Napiers, who owned it until 1820. The estate had to be sold to pay off the last Laird's gambling debts. The ruins were acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, in 1948, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. Image, taken on February 1 2015, supplied by Stewart Noble.Feb 02, 2015
Whitelaw-Hamilton-Glen-Fruin-w.jpg
Glen Fruin High Road42 viewsAn 83 x 108 cm oil on canvas view of Glen Fruin by Helensburgh artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton RSA RSW (1860-1932). Image by courtesy of the Paisley Art Institute Collection, held by Paisley Museum and Art Galleries, Renfrewshire Council. Jan 26, 2015