Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Mansions

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
1928-Camis-Eskan-engraving1.jpg
Camis Eskan1036 viewsA 1928 engraving by J.Westley of a drawing by J.R.Neale of Camis Eskan House.
1963-hermitage-house-w.jpg
Hermitage House233 viewsAn image taken not long before the 1963 demolition of Hermitage House in Hermitage Park. Originally the home of the Cramb family, who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750, the mansion served as a World War One hospital for the wounded, then became an annexe to Hermitage School. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store. Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
Aldersyde.jpg
Aldersyde452 viewsAlderside in Garelochhead pictured about 1919, when it was owned by market gardener Alexander Thomson.
Arden-House~0.jpg
Arden House848 viewsOne of the big Loch Lomond mansions, now converted into flats.
Ardencaple-Castle-demoli3912.jpg
Castle demolition896 viewsThe main tower of Ardencaple Castle is seen just before its demolition in July 1959. The square tower on the left was retained and is still standing.
ardencaplecastle1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle1113 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAulay. Image from a postcard dated 1901.
Ardencaple_Castle.jpg
Ardencaple Castle751 viewsA 1915 view of Ardencaple Castle, the ancient seat of the Clan MacAulay. All but one tower of the building was demolished in 1957, and a naval housing estate was built on the site.
Ardencaple_Castle1241.jpg
Ardencaple Castle987 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAuley. Image date unknown.
Ardencaple_House.jpg
Ardencaple House147 viewsArdencaple House when it was a private dwelling. Originally a coaching inn, it was built in the early 1800s by the Duke of Argyll and had its own stables to cater for travellers between Glasgow and Argyll. It replaced the Cairndhu Inn which once stood in Cairndhu Park, which is now Kidston Park, and used much of its stonework. About 1860 it became a private mansion owned by Mrs Rosina Drew and her husband Peter, and about 1912 it reverted to being the Ardencaple Hotel. Image circa 1900.
Ardenconnel_house.jpg
Ardenconnel House1127 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Date unknown.
Ardenconnel_House.jpg
Ardenconnel House, Rhu779 viewsA mid-1930s view of Ardenconnel House at Rhu. The B-listed mansion was built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century, and Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image by Jean M.Watson.
Ardenconnel_House2211.jpg
Ardenconnel House1046 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image circa 1905.
81 files on 7 page(s) 1