Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Shops

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Battrums Music Shop539 viewsThe Sinclair Street premises of W.Battrum, Pianoforte and Music Warehouse. On offer were pianofortes on hire at moderate rates, pianofortes and organs on the 'Hire Purchase System', and pianoforte tuning. They also carried a large stock of the newest and most popular music, and sold gramophones, phonographs and records. Image circa 1910.
Brown Photographer398 viewsAn image circa 1910 used by W.D.Brown & Co., Photographers and Miniature Painters, of West Bay Studio, Helensburgh. They specialised in 'Artistic Portraiture at moderate prices', including 'Child Studies'.
Christie Grocers499 viewsThe Helensburgh grocers shop of W.G.Christie (Late W.Orme), Wholesale and Retail Butter Merchant, High Class Provision Merchant, 34 & 36 Sinclair Street. Their slogan was 'Families waited upon daily in Helensburgh and district'. Telephone No.32. Established 1861. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove. Image circa 1910.
Clyde Grocery541 viewsRobert McIntosh Clyde, owner of the R.M.Clyde grocery at 64 and 66 West Princes Street, Helensburgh, is pictured outside the shop with members of his family. The red sandstone building was called Waverley Place, and was designed by Robert Wemyss and built in 1897, opposite the Post Office. His brother was Scotland's leading actor of his time, John Clyde. Image supplied by his great grandson, Alistair Paton.
R.M.Clyde, Grocers522 viewsThe R.M.Clyde grocery at 64 and 66 West Princes Street, Helensburgh. The red sandstone building was called Waverley Place, and was designed by Robert Wemyss and built in 1897, opposite the Post Office. Next door to the shop is the tearoom of McAdam the baker.
W.Cook, Tailor505 viewsThe 44 West Princes Street premises of W.Cook, Ladies' and Gentlemen's Tailor. He offered riding breeches, liveries, uniforms, Highland costumes, and always had on hand a large and well-selected stock of tweeds, worsteds, serges, Harris and homespun materials.
Donald MacLeod507 viewsTailor Donald MacLeod is seen at the door of his shop at the junction of East Clyde Street and Maitland Street in Helensburgh. Donald also wrote 'A Nonogenarian's Guide to Garelochside and Helensburgh', based on what he had been told by his uncle Gabriel MacLeod, who was the nonogenarian. Image, circa 1900, supplied by a descendant, Molly Bradshaw of Kilcreggan.
Early Woolworths606 viewsA 1936 view of West Clyde Street showing the F.W.Woolworth 3d and 6d Stores branch which closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration, and beyond it the National Commercial Bank which became part of the Royal Bank of Scotland and moved to Colquhoun Square.
Greenlie Shoes549 viewsThe 19 Sinclair Street premises of William Greenlie, Boot & Shoe Maker. He offered: 'Best Variety in the West of Scotland', 'Bespoke Work A Speciality', and 'All Goods of the Best English Manufacture'. Image circa 1910.
Harvie Chemist537 viewsThe 4 East Princes Street premises of Geo. Harvie & Son, dispensing and photographic chemists, offering films, plates, papers and all photographic requisites — including a dark-room for the use of customers. Image circa 1910.
Thomas H.Kerr Furniture658 viewsThe 19 James Street premises of Thomas H.Kerr, Dealer in Modern and Antique Furniture, Cabinet-maker, Upholsterer and Removal Contractor. Image circa 1910.
L.MacLachlan & Son Tea Room684 viewsEstablished in 1798, this firm of family bakers and confectioners had premises at 23 West Clyde Street, Quay Head, Helensburgh (above), and also at Roslyn Place, Garelochhead. They also catered for picnic parties. Image circa 1910.
28 files on 3 page(s) 1