Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
First_PS_Waverley032.jpg
The first PS Waverley368 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. This image, date unknown, shows her off Helensburgh.
Ghd_steamer0162.jpg
Steamer at Garelochhead Pier592 viewsA steamer is berthed at the pier at Garelochhead, probably the Lucy Ashton which called regularly from 1906 until the pier closed in 1939. Image circa 1905.
Image1-154.jpg
Loch Lomond steamer528 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer, possibly the SS Prince George, meets the train at Balloch Pier, circa 1917.
Jeanie_Deans-11764.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans622 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans in British Railways livery, between nationalisation in 1948 and the transfer to the Caledonian Steam Packet Company in 1951. Built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, she was extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Jeanie_Deans-21891.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans640 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Jeanie_Deans-31862.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans665 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans in Loch Long. Built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, she was extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Jeanie_Deans058.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans405 viewsA packed Jeanie Deans pictured shortly after leaving Craigendoran Pier in 1954. The paddle steamer was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Jeanie_Deans_at_Arrochar.jpg
Jeanie Deans at Arrochar538 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans leaves Arrochar, circa 1931. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Jeanie_Deans_at_Craigendoran.jpg
Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran587 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967. Image circa 1949.
Kenilworth2883.jpg
PS Kenilworth503 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
Loch_Lomond_Frozen_1963.jpg
Frozen steamer490 viewsThe Maid of the Loch steamer is ice-bound beside the pier at Balloch, Loch Lomond, in the big freeze of 1963. People can be seen standing on the ice at the end of the pier. Photo by Iain Duncan.
Loch_Lomond_steamer.jpg
Loch Lomond 1900483 viewsA paddle steamer pictured on Loch Lomond on July 23 1900.
71 files on 6 page(s) 2