Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Redgauntlet.jpg
Redgauntlet395 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934.
PS-Redgauntlet-w.jpg
Redgauntlet11 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934. Image circa 1925.
Waverley20414.jpg
PS Waverley373 viewsBuilt by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the previous Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, she cruised to all parts of the Clyde Estuary until withdrawn after the 1973 season by Caledonian-MacBrayne. Next year she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society after a massive public campaign in Scotland, and re-entered service in 1975 with support from local authorities. She calls regularly at Helensburgh during the summer. She is pictured at Gourock in 1970.
PS_Talisman061.jpg
PS Talisman288 viewsThe North British steamer Talisman, built in 1896 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. Undertook World War One service as HMS Talla sweeping mines at Troon and Portsmouth. On refit after the war, the deck saloon was extended the full width of the hull and the bridge was moved forward of the funnel. She was on the Rothesay and Kyles of Bute service until the end of the 1934 season, and then was scrapped at Barrow. Image circa 1920.
Marmion1805.jpg
PS Marmion414 viewsLaunched on May 5 1906 at A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, the 403 ton Marmion was used on the Arrochar and Loch Goil service for the North British Steam Packet Company. She was requisitioned for mineweeping at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to regular Clyde service in 1926. Again she was requisitioned for war service, stationed at Harwich. After surviving the Dunkirk evacuation, she was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on the night of April 8 1941 and was later raised and scrapped.
Maid_of_the_Loch1834.jpg
PS Maid of the Loch422 viewsThe 555 ton Maid of the Loch was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch where the sections were reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier — where this picture was taken in 1968 — by the Maid of the Loch Preservation Society.
Lucy_Ashton1883.jpg
PS Lucy Ashton442 viewsThe 271-ton Lucy Ashton was launched on May 24 1888 by T.B.Seath at Rutherglen. She began on the Holy Loch run but later became more familiar on the Gareloch service from Craigendoran. She remained on the Clyde throughout both world wars. Pictured in 1947 after her post-war refurbishment, she made her last run in February 1949. Her stripped down hull saw further experimental use by the British Shipbuilding Research Association, including being fitted with a jet engine.
Lucy_Ashton-21909.jpg
PS Lucy Ashton464 viewsThe Lucy Ashton approaches Barremman Pier at Clynder. She operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. The pier was built about 1887 on the instructions of Robert Thom, owner of Barremman Estate, and demolished in 1967.
Kenilworth2883.jpg
PS Kenilworth480 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
PS-Kenilworth-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth302 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
PS_Juno21910.jpg
PS Juno427 viewsOriginally ordered by South of England owners, the 592-ton Juno was built by Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding (formerly Thomson) in 1898. She was based at Ayr, where this picture was taken circa 1922, and used for excursions. During World War One she was requisitioned as a minesweeper on the Firth of Forth as HMS Junior. After the war she was based again at Ayr and was there until the end of the 1931 season, before being scrapped the following year.
Jeanie_Deans-11764.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans596 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans in British Railways livery, between nationalisation in 1948 and the transfer to the Caledonian Steam Packet Company in 1951. Built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, she was extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
71 files on 6 page(s) 3