Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
PS-Jeanie-Deans5311.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans497 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans, circa 1933. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
PS-Kenilworth-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth353 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
PS-Redgauntlet-w.jpg
Redgauntlet106 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934. Image circa 1925.
PS_Balmoral_198719.jpg
All Aboard456 viewsPassengers prepare to board the steamer Balmoral at Helensburgh Pier in 1987.
PS_Caledonia_at_Ayr2652.jpg
PS Caledonia498 viewsThe paddle steamer Caledonia, seen leaving Ayr in the 1960s, was launched on February 1 1934 by Wm. Denny & Bros. Ltd. at Dumbarton. The 624-ton vessel served as a minesweeper named HMS Goatfell during the Second World War. After being based at Ayr, she replaced the Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran. After 1969, renamed Old Caledonia, she served as a Bass Charrington floating pub moored on the Embankment in central London, until badly damaged by fire in 1980, then was scrapped.
PS_Columba11.jpg
PS Columba438 viewsBuilt in 1878 by J. & G.Thomson at Clydebank, the 602-ton Columba is regarded as the most famous and luxurious Clyde steamer. An early steel-hulled vessel and at 301 feet, the largest Clyde steamer of her time, she operated the Glasgow to Ardrishaig service as part of MacBraynes 'Royal Route' to Oban. Reboilered in 1900, she was sold after the 1935 season, and broken up at Dalmuir. She is pictured off Gourock. Image date unknown.
PS_Industry301.jpg
PS Industry349 viewsThis painting shows the early Clyde Shipping Company paddle steamer Industry in 1815. It appeared on a postcard published in 1990 to mark 175 years of the company and Glasgow being European City of Culture. Launched in 1814, she became the seventh steamboat to service the Clyde, mainly carrying luggage and cargo between Greenock and Glasgow, but also serving as one of the Clyde’s first tugs. Her career spanned over half a century and prior to her retirement she was the oldest steamer operating on the Clyde.
PS_Juno21910.jpg
PS Juno448 viewsOriginally ordered by South of England owners, the 592-ton Juno was built by Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding (formerly Thomson) in 1898. She was based at Ayr, where this picture was taken circa 1922, and used for excursions. During World War One she was requisitioned as a minesweeper on the Firth of Forth as HMS Junior. After the war she was based again at Ayr and was there until the end of the 1931 season, before being scrapped the following year.
PS_Saint_Columba2284.jpg
TS Saint Columba544 viewsThe 785-ton turbine steamer was launched on April 9 1912 at the yard of William Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton. Placed on the Campeltown run in succession to her namesake, she was requisitioned as a troop transport ship from 1915 to 1919 during which time she rammed and sank a German U-Boat. After the war she served Campbeltown, Inveraray and Ardrishaig until World War Two, when she was an accommodation ship at Greenock. She returned to the summer Ardrishaig service from 1947 until the end of the 1958 season, but was withdrawn and scrapped shortly afterwards. She is pictured arriving at Rothesay, circa 1950.
PS_Talisman061.jpg
PS Talisman336 viewsThe North British steamer Talisman, built in 1896 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. Undertook World War One service as HMS Talla sweeping mines at Troon and Portsmouth. On refit after the war, the deck saloon was extended the full width of the hull and the bridge was moved forward of the funnel. She was on the Rothesay and Kyles of Bute service until the end of the 1934 season, and then was scrapped at Barrow. Image circa 1920.
PS_Waverley_(1st)299.jpg
The first Waverley341 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. Image circa 1925.
Redgauntlet-Kenilworth.jpg
Redgauntlet and Kenilworth469 viewsThe North British Railway steamers Redgauntlet and Kenilworth are pictured at Craigendoran Pier in this excellent 1905 picture. A cart loaded with coal is waiting on the left to refuel the Redgauntlet after the passengers have alighted.
71 files on 6 page(s) 4