Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Marmion.jpg
P.S. Marmion431 viewsLaunched on May 5 1906 at A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, the 403 ton Marmion was used on the Craigendoran to Arrochar and Loch Goil service for the North British Steam Packet Company. She was requisitioned for mineweeping at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to regular Clyde service in 1926. Again she was requisitioned for war service, stationed at Harwich. After surviving the Dunkirk evacuation, she was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on April 8 1941 and was later raised and scrapped.
Maid_of_the_Loch2521.jpg
Maid of the Loch434 viewsThe paddle steamer Maid of the Loch leaving Inversnaid for a cruise to the head of Loch Lomond in June 1968. The 555-ton vessel was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch, reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier by the Maid Preservation Society.
Maid_of_the_Loch1834.jpg
PS Maid of the Loch425 viewsThe 555 ton Maid of the Loch was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch where the sections were reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier — where this picture was taken in 1968 — by the Maid of the Loch Preservation Society.
Maid-of-the-Loch4072.jpg
Maid of the Loch433 viewsA Hector Cameron photo of the Maid of the Loch at Balloch Pier in August 1970. The 555 ton vessel was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch where the sections were reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier by the Maid of the Loch Preservation Society.
Luss_steamer3641~1.jpg
Loch Lomond steamer417 viewsThis picture of a steamer, probably the SS St George, in Luss Straits was published by C.R.Gilchrist & Sons, Alexandria, circa 1926.
Luss_pier_steamer.jpg
Steamer at Luss374 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer boards passengers at Luss Pier, circa 1938.
Lucy_Ashton_at_war276.jpg
Lucy Ashton at war371 viewsThe 271-ton Lucy Ashton was launched on May 24 1888 by T.B.Seath at Rutherglen. She began on the Holy Loch run but later became more familiar on the Gareloch service from Craigendoran. She remained on the Clyde throughout both world wars, and is pictured on the Clyde during the Second World War. She made her last run in February 1949. Her stripped down hull saw further experimental use by the British Shipbuilding Research Association, including being fitted with a jet engine.
Lucy_Ashton1883.jpg
PS Lucy Ashton445 viewsThe 271-ton Lucy Ashton was launched on May 24 1888 by T.B.Seath at Rutherglen. She began on the Holy Loch run but later became more familiar on the Gareloch service from Craigendoran. She remained on the Clyde throughout both world wars. Pictured in 1947 after her post-war refurbishment, she made her last run in February 1949. Her stripped down hull saw further experimental use by the British Shipbuilding Research Association, including being fitted with a jet engine.
Lucy_Ashton-21909.jpg
PS Lucy Ashton469 viewsThe Lucy Ashton approaches Barremman Pier at Clynder. She operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. The pier was built about 1887 on the instructions of Robert Thom, owner of Barremman Estate, and demolished in 1967.
Lucy_Ashton,_Jeanie_Deans.jpg
Popular paddlers308 viewsA 1948 view of two of the most popular steamers at their base at Craigendoran Pier, the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans.
Lucy-Ashton-at-Hel-pier4793.jpg
Lucy Ashton at Helensburgh483 viewsThe 200 ton steamer Lucy Ashton, built in 1888, leaves Helensburgh pier for Craigendoran. Image date unknown, but before the outdoor swimming pool was built in 1928.
Loch_Lomond_steamer.jpg
Loch Lomond 1900467 viewsA paddle steamer pictured on Loch Lomond on July 23 1900.
71 files on 6 page(s) 4