Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
PS_Juno21910.jpg
PS Juno530 viewsOriginally ordered by South of England owners, the 592-ton Juno was built by Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding (formerly Thomson) in 1898. She was based at Ayr, where this picture was taken circa 1922, and used for excursions. During World War One she was requisitioned as a minesweeper on the Firth of Forth as HMS Junior. After the war she was based again at Ayr and was there until the end of the 1931 season, before being scrapped the following year.
Jeanie_Deans-11764.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans768 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans in British Railways livery, between nationalisation in 1948 and the transfer to the Caledonian Steam Packet Company in 1951. Built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, she was extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Jeanie_Deans-31862.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans805 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans in Loch Long. Built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, she was extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Jeanie_Deans-21891.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans772 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
PS-Jeanie-Deans5311.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans572 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans, circa 1933. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Jeanie_Deans058.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans528 viewsA packed Jeanie Deans pictured shortly after leaving Craigendoran Pier in 1954. The paddle steamer was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
PS_Industry301.jpg
PS Industry430 viewsThis painting shows the early Clyde Shipping Company paddle steamer Industry in 1815. It appeared on a postcard published in 1990 to mark 175 years of the company and Glasgow being European City of Culture. Launched in 1814, she became the seventh steamboat to service the Clyde, mainly carrying luggage and cargo between Greenock and Glasgow, but also serving as one of the Clyde’s first tugs. Her career spanned over half a century and prior to her retirement she was the oldest steamer operating on the Clyde.
PS_Columba11.jpg
PS Columba528 viewsBuilt in 1878 by J. & G.Thomson at Clydebank, the 602-ton Columba is regarded as the most famous and luxurious Clyde steamer. An early steel-hulled vessel and at 301 feet, the largest Clyde steamer of her time, she operated the Glasgow to Ardrishaig service as part of MacBraynes 'Royal Route' to Oban. Reboilered in 1900, she was sold after the 1935 season, and broken up at Dalmuir. She is pictured off Gourock. Image date unknown.
Chancellor-steamer136~2.jpg
PS Chancellor430 viewsThe 272-ton paddle steamer Chancellor, built by R.Chambers, Dumbarton, for the Loch Goil and Loch Long Steamboat Company for the Arrochar service. Sold in 1901 to interests at Ferrol, Spain, and renamed Commercio.
PS_Caledonia_at_Ayr2652.jpg
PS Caledonia585 viewsThe paddle steamer Caledonia, seen leaving Ayr in the 1960s, was launched on February 1 1934 by Wm. Denny & Bros. Ltd. at Dumbarton. The 624-ton vessel served as a minesweeper named HMS Goatfell during the Second World War. After being based at Ayr, she replaced the Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran. After 1969, renamed Old Caledonia, she served as a Bass Charrington floating pub moored on the Embankment in central London, until badly damaged by fire in 1980, then was scrapped.
Lucy_Ashton,_Jeanie_Deans.jpg
Popular paddlers490 viewsA 1948 view of two of the most popular steamers at their base at Craigendoran Pier, the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans.
Marmion.jpg
P.S. Marmion529 viewsLaunched on May 5 1906 at A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, the 403 ton Marmion was used on the Craigendoran to Arrochar and Loch Goil service for the North British Steam Packet Company. She was requisitioned for mineweeping at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to regular Clyde service in 1926. Again she was requisitioned for war service, stationed at Harwich. After surviving the Dunkirk evacuation, she was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on April 8 1941 and was later raised and scrapped.
74 files on 7 page(s) 4