Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
PS_Waverley_(1st)299.jpg
The first Waverley418 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. Image circa 1925.
Redgauntlet-Kenilworth.jpg
Redgauntlet and Kenilworth548 viewsThe North British Railway steamers Redgauntlet and Kenilworth are pictured at Craigendoran Pier in this excellent 1905 picture. A cart loaded with coal is waiting on the left to refuel the Redgauntlet after the passengers have alighted.
Redgauntlet.jpg
Redgauntlet492 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934.
Redgauntlet120.jpg
Redgauntlet at war544 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934.
Rhu-Bay-_-Lucy-Ashton.jpg
Lucy Ashton at Rhu499 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton is seen in Rhu Bay in this image published by Winton, Stationer, Rhu. David Winton left his job with the Post Office in Arbroath about 1910 as he was becoming blind, and he and his wife moved to Rhu where they were Postmaster and Postmistress until the mid-1950s. Image supplied by their great grandson, Alistair Quinlan.
Rhu_steamer2532.jpg
Steamer at Rhu585 viewsA steamer, probably the 271-ton Lucy Ashton which was used on the Craigendoran-Gareloch run, leaves Rhu (then Row) Pier, with the training ship Empress beyond. Circa 1905.
SS_Prince_George8.jpg
SS Prince George496 viewsThe 256-ton Prince George, pictured at Balloch pier packed with passengers, was in service on Loch Lomond from 1899 to 1938. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, she was towed up the Leven. Her machinery meant she was rather expensive to operate. Most of her service was on the Balloch to Ardlui route, although she did do some afternoon excursion work. She was withdrawn and laid up at Balloch in 1938. Image date unknown.
SS_Talisman.jpg
SS Kenilworth437 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
Staff-at-Rhu-Pier-w.jpg
Rhu Pier staff355 viewsStaff and passengers wait at Rhu Pier. Image date unknown.
Steamers-at-Craigendoran-w.jpg
Steamers at Craigendoran560 viewsA 1933 picture of most of the LNER fleet at Craigendoran. The two which can be seen least well are the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans, while in the centre are the Talisman and the Marmion. The steamer terminal and station opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone.
Steamer_at_Garelochhead.jpg
Steamer at Garelochhead554 viewsA steamer is berthed at the pier at Garelochhead, probably the Lucy Ashton which called regularly from 1906 until the pier closed in 1939. Image circa 1905.
Steamer_at_Rhu.jpg
Talisman at Rhu567 viewsThe North British steamer Talisman, built in 1896 by A. & J.Inglis, approaches Rhu Pier. In the background is the Training Ship Empress, while on the right Rosneath Castle can be seen across the loch. This image, circa 1915, was used on the cover of John Hood's book of old photos entitled 'Old HELENSBURGH, RHU & SHANDON'.
74 files on 7 page(s) 5