Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Talisman.jpg
DEPV Talisman395 viewsBuilt in 1935 by A. & J.Inglis, Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the London & North Eastern Railway, the 544-ton diesel-electric direct drive paddle steamer was used on year-round runs from Craigendoran to Rothesay and the Kyles of Bute. She saw World War Two service as HMS Aristocrat, including being an HQ ship at the Normandy landings. After 1953 she was allocated to the Wemyss Bay - Largs - Millport ferry route. She was withdrawn after the 1966 season and broken up for scrap at Dalmuir in 1967. Image taken 1946.
Talisman1875.jpg
DEPV Talisman461 viewsBuilt in 1935 by A. & J.Inglis, Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the London & North Eastern Railway, this 544-ton diesel-electric direct drive paddle steamer was used on year-round runs from Craigendoran to Rothesay and the Kyles of Bute. She saw World War Two service as HMS Aristocrat, including acting as a HQ ship at the Normandy landings. After 1953 she was allocated to the Wemyss Bay - Largs - Millport ferry route. She was withdrawn after the 1966 season and broken up for scrap at Dalmuir in 1967.
TSS_Duchess_of_Montrose2275.jpg
TSS Duchess of Montrose459 viewsThe 806-ton turbine steamer was launched on May 10 1930 at the yard of William Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton. The first 'one-class' vessel on the Clyde, she cruised in the lower Firth to Arran, Ayr and as far as Stranraer, Campbeltown and Inveraray, and she remained on the Clyde during World War II serving Wemyss Bay and Rothesay. Converted to oil in 1956 she undertook the long cruises, especially to Inveraray, in the post-war period. She was withdrawn in 1964, and scrapped in Ghent, Belgium, in 1965.
Waverley-at-Craigendoran.jpg
Waverley at Craigendoran513 viewsBuilt by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the previous Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, andcruised to all parts of the Clyde Estuary until withdrawn after the 1973 season by Caledonian-MacBrayne. Next year she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and re-entered service in 1975 with support from local authorities. She is pictured at Craigendoran pier in 1972.
Waverley-at-Craigendoran~0.jpg
Waverley at Craigendoran234 viewsThe steamer Waverley at Craigendoran pier in 1968, with part of the Caledonia in view. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the first Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, and cruised the Clyde until 1973 for Caledonian-MacBrayne. In 1974 she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and re-entered service in 1975. She calls regularly at Helensburgh in summer.
Waverley-at-Kilcreggan5242.jpg
Waverley at Kilcreggan457 viewsThe world's last seagoing paddle steamer Waverley at Kilcreggan Pier. Photo by J.Ballantyne.
Waverley.jpg
Waverley leaves Helensburgh418 viewsThe Waverley is pictured leaving Helensburgh. Photo by Joe McKendrick, date unknown.
Waverley20414.jpg
PS Waverley386 viewsBuilt by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the previous Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, she cruised to all parts of the Clyde Estuary until withdrawn after the 1973 season by Caledonian-MacBrayne. Next year she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society after a massive public campaign in Scotland, and re-entered service in 1975 with support from local authorities. She calls regularly at Helensburgh during the summer. She is pictured at Gourock in 1970.
Waverley_(R_Ryan).jpg
Waverley at Helensburgh708 viewsThe paddle steamer Waverley arrives at Helensburgh pier in the evening sunlight of June 22 2005 on the annual midsummer sail. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. Photo by Robert Ryan.
Waverley_and_Balmoral.jpg
Waverley and Balmoral530 viewsThe Paddle Steamer Waverley, built in 1947 on the Clyde, and Classic Cruise Ship Balmoral, built in 1949 in Southampton, were together in dry dock for the first time ever on April 18 2012. The Garvel Clyde Dry Dock in Greenock was playing host to these ships, which this year are celebrating 200 years of commercial steam navigation, with the anniversary of Henry Bell’s Comet which was built in Port Glasgow.
Waverley_Old_LNER~0.jpg
The first Waverley469 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. Image date unknown.
 
71 files on 6 page(s) 6