Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Works of art

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
1840-Camis-Eskan-11.jpg
Camis Eskan, circa 1840554 viewsThis painting by John Knox (1778-1845) shows some of the children of Colin Campbell of Colgrain fishing by the bridge in front of the remodelled house. He bought the estate in 1836 from James Dennistoun, the last of the Dennistouns of Colgrain, whose family had owned the land for over 500 years. The Dennistouns were granted the lands by the first Stuart king Robert II, who had married into the family, and whose son Robert III and all future Kings would have Dennistoun blood in their veins.
1840-Camis-Eskan-22.jpg
Camis Eskan, circa 1840245 viewsThis painting by John Knox (1778-1845) shows the sons of Colin Campbell of Colgrain standing around the ice house above Camis Eskan. He bought the estate in 1836 from James Dennistoun, the last of the Dennistouns of Colgrain, whose family had owned the land for over 500 years. The Dennistouns were granted the lands by the first Stuart king Robert II, who had married into the family, and whose son Robert III and all future Kings would have Dennistoun blood in their veins.
1851_Helensburgh_print.jpg
Helensburgh in 1851220 viewsThis print of Helensburgh was presented by the townspeople in 1851 to Provost Peter Walker, who held the office from 1850-53. It was by D.Maitland McKenzie, lithograph by Allen Ferguson of Glasgow. Almost Canaletto in style, it shows the stately summer residences of the Glasgow merchants, and Henry Bell's Baths (later Queen's) Hotel can be seen.
1897_Burgh_view.jpg
View from Helensburgh249 viewsThis watercolour view across the Firth from Helensburgh, probably from near the Queen's Hotel, was painted by Margaret Smith in 1897 and dedicated 'To Miss Hutton with love'. It is 10 x 17 cms, on watercolour board.
66--Craigendoran-Pier,-Ailsa-Tanner-w.jpg
Craigendoran Pier267 viewsThis drawing by well known Helensburgh artist and art historian Ailsa Tanner captures the curve of the steamer platform at Craigendoran Station. This is one of the works of art in the Anderson Trust Collection, which puts on an exhibition each Spring in Helensburgh Library in West King Street.
AMF-Loch-Lomond.jpg
Ben Lomond310 viewsThis study looking south east across Loch Lomond towards Ben Lomond is by Allan M.Fraser, a prolific and talented Helensburgh artist who died in 1985 aged 75. He attended Hermitage School, where he later taught art, and studied at Glasgow School of Art. He taught in several Dunbartonshire schools, eventually becoming head of the art department at Dumbarton Academy. He was also a founder member of Helensburgh and District Art Club. Image, date unknown, supplied by Mark Welsh, Saltash, Cornwall.
Annie-Templeton-Anderson.jpg
Nance Anderson MBE271 viewsA caricature by local artist Gregor Ian Smith of his close friend, Annie Templeton Anderson, who was a Helensburgh Town Councillor for ten years and the burgh's first woman Bailie. The Anderson Trust collection of paintings, many of them bequeathed by her, was established in her memory.
A_Fresh_Day,_Portincaple,_Loch_Long____by_Violet_Kay.jpg
“A Fresh Day, Portincaple, Loch Long” by Violet Kay274 viewsViolet MacNeish Kay (1914–1971) was the daughter of well known artist James Kay (1858–1942), who designed their house Crimea on a hill at Whistlefield, overlooking Loch Long, and it is this view that is the subject of many of their paintings. This painting was acquired in 2009 by the Anderson Trust.
Baird-by-Coia-(lr)1~0.jpg
Baird by Coia276 viewsThis portrait of John Logie Baird by eminent Glasgow artist Emilio Coia was commissioned for Lomond School but was lost in the St Bride’s building fire in 1997, but both Lomond and Professor Malcolm Baird have colour laser copies. The idea was to provide a visible tribute to the school’s greatest former pupil in the absence of any commemoration in the school, and it was unveiled in September 1990 by the inventor’s widow, Mrs Margaret Baird.
Baird_postcard3.jpg
Baird by Conroy279 viewsLocal artist Stephen Conroy painted this portrait of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He was specially commissioned by the Scottish Post Office Board to paint six portraits for a postcard series to celebrate the contribution Scots have made to communication, in the year of 1989 when the first Edinburgh Festival of Science and Technology took 'communication' as its theme.
Boatyard_Kilcreggan_by_Arthur_Henry_Turner.jpg
“Boatyard, Kilcreggan” by Arthur Henry Turner294 viewsThis is one of two works by Arthur H.Turner (1901–1970) acquired by the Anderson Trust, the other being “Clyde Regatta”.
Burgh_seafront_(Tuck).jpg
Seafront view280 viewsA Tuck & Sons Oilette view of Helensburgh seafront in the early 1900s, painted by D.Small.
44 files on 4 page(s) 1