Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Religion

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
1970-03-old-parish-church-w.jpg
Old Parish Church84 viewsThe Old Parish Church on Helensburgh seafront, circa 1970, which stood on the seafront and later became a Church of Scotland centre for servicemen and women. It was opened on May 23 1847. Now only the tower is standing, and contains the tourist information office. Image by Stewart Noble.
Annie-Baird5081~2.jpg
St Bride's Centenary433 viewsMiss Annie Baird, then 83, sister of John Logie Baird and daughter of the Rev John Baird, is greeted by the St Bride's Church minister, the Rev Robert S.Cairns, who invited her to cut the cake at the Church's Centenary Supper in the Victoria Hall in 1967. In the background is Mrs Arthur Wylie, one of the organisers of the event.
Ardenconnel_group_25_7_38.jpg
Methodist holiday157 viewsMethodists on holiday at Ardenconnel House in Rhu on July 25 1938. The B-listed mansion was built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century, and Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage enjoyment of the countryside, and to this day working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats.
Ardenconnel_House_group.jpg
Methodist holiday253 viewsA group of Methodists of all ages on holiday at Ardenconnel House in Rhu in the mid-1930s. The B-listed mansion was built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century, and Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image by Jean M.Watson.
Baptist-Boys-Guild3851.jpg
Baptist outing276 viewsSlightly damaged image of a Helensburgh Baptist Church Boys Guild group leaving for a week's camp at Aberfoyle. Image date unknown.
Baptist_Cruise0761.jpg
Baptist Cruise268 viewsThe Rev Russell Davidson (3rd from left), minister of Helensburgh Baptist Church, and members of the Baptist Association on a cruise on Loch Lomond aboard the Maid of the Loch. Date unknown.
Cardross_old_church-1_14_05_11.jpg
Cardross Old Parish Church276 viewsThe church, the second on the site, was built in 1826 to designs by Greenock architect George Dempster. It was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers over the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower and walls were made safe in 1954 as a memorial, with the interior raised as a lawn, and the tower was restored in 1999. The graveyard contains monuments from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. This image taken from the main road was supplied by Donald Fullarton.
Cardross_old_church-2_14_05_11.jpg
Cardross Old Parish Church283 viewsThe church, the second on the site, was built in 1826 to designs by Greenock architect George Dempster. It was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers over the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower and walls were made safe in 1954 as a memorial, with the interior raised as a lawn, and the tower was restored in 1999. The graveyard contains monuments from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. This image taken from the rear was supplied by Donald Fullarton.
Cardross_old_church-3_14_05_11.jpg
Carved heads267 viewsTwo carved heads are seen at the bricked-up doorway of the tower of Cardross Old Parish Church, which was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers on the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower was restored in the summer of 1999. Any information about the carved heads would be welcome. Image supplied by Donald Fullarton.
Coulport_church3.jpg
Kilcreggan Church277 viewsThis small corrugated iron church at Kilcreggan was opened for public worship on May 30 1869, and later became a garage. It stood at the junction of the old Fort Road and the main road called the Ferry Brae, with the Ferry Cottage shown on the left part way up the hill. It was Free Church of Scotland and had no organ to sing to. Instead the Precentor struck a tuning fork to give the congregration the right key to start the hymn singing. Before the Reformation another church existed almost on the same site.
Dumbarton-Presbytery-19671.jpg
Moderator's visit438 viewsThe Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, the Very Rev Dr Roy Sanderson, was in Helensburgh in September 1967 as part of a visit to Dumbarton Presbytery. This picture at the Queen's Hotel shows (standing) the Rev Jack Dutch of Old and St Andrew's, the Rev Andrew Scobie of Cardross, the Rev Dr George Logan of Park, the Rev Merricks Arnott of Rosneath, the Rev J.Murray of Garelochhead; (front) the Rev L.A.Ritchie of St Columba, the Rev Robert Cairns of St Bride's, Dr Sanderson, and the Rev Dr T.Crouther Gordon of Helensburgh.
Early-West-Kirk-interior.jpg
West Kirk interior324 viewsAn early picture of the interior of St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, and now Helensburgh West Kirk. Image supplied by the minister, the Rev David Clark.
49 files on 5 page(s) 1