Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Last additions
Gareloch-battleships-w.jpg
Gareloch battleships3 viewsTwo battleships are seen laid up in the Gareloch. Three King George battleships were laid up in the loch, and the vessel broadside in the image is one of them and the one bow facing could be another. The three were King George V, Anson and the John Brown's-built Duke of York. Anson was towed to the Gareloch in 1951, purchased by Shipbreaking Industries at Faslane on December 17 1957 and subsequently scrapped. Duke of York was moved to the Gareloch in November 1951 and scrapped at Faslane from May 1957. King George V also came to the Gareloch and in 1958 was moved to the ship breaking firm of Arnott Young and Co. in Dalmuir. These facts date the image, supplied by Brian Cook, to between 1951 and 1957.Apr 22, 2014
Craigendoran-turntable-w.jpg
Craigendoran turntable3 viewsThe turntable which used to exist at Craigendoran, beside the current Waitrose site. The locomotive is a brand-new B1 class built for the London and North-Eastern Railway. This class was introduced in 1942 and many of them were built by the North British Locomotive Company at their Hyde Park works in Springburn, Glasgow. Immediately after the locomotives were built they were sent on a trial run to Craigendoran where they were turned on the turntable and then travelled back to Springburn. Image supplied by Billy Thomson.Apr 22, 2014
1970-03-old-parish-church-w.jpg
Old Parish Church2 viewsThe Old Parish Church on Helensburgh seafront, circa 1970, which stood on the seafront and later became a Church of Scotland centre for servicemen and women. It was opened on May 23 1847. Now only the tower is standing, and contains the tourist information office. Image by Stewart Noble.Apr 22, 2014
King-George-letter-w.jpg
King's letter60 viewsThis letter was a personal message following World War Two from King George to schoolchildren throughout Britain, sent on June 8 1946. This copy was donated to Helensburgh Heritage Trust by Trust director Cecilia Dunlop.Feb 19, 2014
Larchfield-School-1951-w.jpg
Larchfield School128 viewsA 1951 image of the staff and pupils of Helensburgh's Larchfield School outside the Colquhoun Street building. It later became part of Lomond School, but when that was consolidated on the St Bride's site it was sold to Cala Homes for development. The headmaster at the time was Stephen Hutchinson, later to become a minister, and other masters included Mr Barclay-Smith, Mr Goldsmith, Mr Denny and Mr Geddes. Image supplied by former pupil Thomas Mann.Feb 12, 2014
General-De-Gaulle-Xmas-Eve-42-w.jpg
De Gaulle at Cove106 viewsFree French leader General Charles De Gaulle, later to become President of France, visited Free French naval wounded at the World War Two Knockderry Hospital in Cove — in the requisitioned Knockderry Castle — on Christmas Eve 1942. Having arrived with his aides by taxi from Kilcreggan Pier, driven by local man Tom McNeilage, he spent an hour with the patients and distributed gifts. The Secretary of State for Scotland would have attended to welcome him, but did not have enough notice of the visit. Photo by James Hall of Greenock, which is in the Norman Burniston Collection, published by kind permission of Norman Burniston.Feb 10, 2014
Hermitage-House-croquet1.jpg
Croquet for all107 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. This photo by Helensburgh lamplighter Edward Graham, supplied by his great great grandson Ian MacQuire, shows patients playing croquet.Feb 04, 2014
Hermitage-House-good-luck.jpg
Hermitage Hospital fundraising110 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Patients also raised funds. Photo by Helensburgh lamplighter Edward Graham, supplied by his great great grandson Ian MacQuire.Feb 04, 2014
Bob-Hope-at-Rosneath-w.jpg
Bob Hope at Rosneath132 viewsHugely popular American entertainer Bob Hope visited United States Navy Base Two at Rosneath with a concert party in 1945, and is seen arriving with Frances Langford and Jerry Colona. Afterwards there was a post-show party at the Princess Louise Officers Club, the Ferry Inn. Image supplied by Dennis Royal, author of the book 'United States Navy Base Two — Americans at Rosneath 1941-45.Feb 04, 2014
2002-Rotary-bookstall-w.jpg
Rotary bookstall150 viewsMembers of Helensburgh Rotary Club pictured running a bookstall beside the esplanade putting green in 2002. From left: Denis Taylor, Dilwyn Jones, Jim McBlane, Gordon Hattle, George Boyd, ?, and Graham Smith.Jan 27, 2014
Hermitage-ward-w.jpg
Hermitage ward103 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.Jan 26, 2014
Hermitage-choir-w.jpg
Patients choir102 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Many local girls met their future husbands among the wounded ‘tommies’, and patients were taken on outings in a horse-drawn carriage from Waldie & Co. in Sinclair Street.Jan 26, 2014
1580 files on 132 page(s) 1