Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Last additions - Transport — Steamers
PS-Redgauntlet-w.jpg
Redgauntlet32 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934. Image circa 1925.
Jul 12, 2014
Steamers-at-Craigendoran-w.jpg
Steamers at Craigendoran354 viewsA 1933 picture of most of the LNER fleet at Craigendoran. The two which can be seen least well are the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans, while in the centre are the Talisman and the Marmion. The steamer terminal and station opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone.Mar 23, 2013
Lucy_Ashton,_Jeanie_Deans.jpg
Popular paddlers307 viewsA 1948 view of two of the most popular steamers at their base at Craigendoran Pier, the Lucy Ashton and the Jeanie Deans.Feb 06, 2013
PS_Talisman061.jpg
PS Talisman297 viewsThe North British steamer Talisman, built in 1896 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. Undertook World War One service as HMS Talla sweeping mines at Troon and Portsmouth. On refit after the war, the deck saloon was extended the full width of the hull and the bridge was moved forward of the funnel. She was on the Rothesay and Kyles of Bute service until the end of the 1934 season, and then was scrapped at Barrow. Image circa 1920.Dec 31, 2012
PS-Kenilworth-w.jpg
PS Kenilworth310 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.Dec 08, 2012
First_PS_Waverley032.jpg
The first PS Waverley343 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. This image, date unknown, shows her off Helensburgh.Nov 20, 2012
Staff-at-Rhu-Pier-w.jpg
Rhu Pier staff211 viewsStaff and passengers wait at Rhu Pier. Image date unknown.Sep 26, 2012
Waverley-at-Craigendoran~0.jpg
Waverley at Craigendoran218 viewsThe steamer Waverley at Craigendoran pier in 1968, with part of the Caledonia in view. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the first Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, and cruised the Clyde until 1973 for Caledonian-MacBrayne. In 1974 she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and re-entered service in 1975. She calls regularly at Helensburgh in summer.Sep 26, 2012
Waverley_Old_LNER~0.jpg
The first Waverley457 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. Image date unknown.Jun 27, 2012
Craigendoran_Pier008.jpg
Craigendoran Pier326 viewsA view from the sea of a steamer berthed at Craigendoran Pier, with the station in the background. Image date unknown.Jun 27, 2012
Comet_replica128.jpg
Comet Replica277 viewsThe Comet replica built in 1962 and steamed across the Clyde to mark the 150th anniversary of Henry Bell's Comet, seen in its permanent home in Port Glasgow.May 02, 2012
Waverley_and_Balmoral.jpg
Waverley and Balmoral517 viewsThe Paddle Steamer Waverley, built in 1947 on the Clyde, and Classic Cruise Ship Balmoral, built in 1949 in Southampton, were together in dry dock for the first time ever on April 18 2012. The Garvel Clyde Dry Dock in Greenock was playing host to these ships, which this year are celebrating 200 years of commercial steam navigation, with the anniversary of Henry Bell’s Comet which was built in Port Glasgow.Apr 21, 2012
71 files on 6 page(s) 1