Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Last additions - Transport — Steamers
P.S. Marmion551 viewsLaunched on May 5 1906 at A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, the 403 ton Marmion was used on the Craigendoran to Arrochar and Loch Goil service for the North British Steam Packet Company. She was requisitioned for mineweeping at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to regular Clyde service in 1926. Again she was requisitioned for war service, stationed at Harwich. After surviving the Dunkirk evacuation, she was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on April 8 1941 and was later raised and scrapped.Aug 03, 2010
Dandie Dinmont at Shandon Pier732 viewsThe 195 feet 218 ton Dandie Dinmont, the second steamer to bear the name, was built in 1895 by A. and J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the North British Steam Packet Company for use on the Craigendoran to Dunoon and Holy Loch routes, and remained on station during World War One. After being laid up in 1926 and 1927, the following year she went to the London and North Eastern Railway for the Hull to Holland ferry service and was renamed PS Frodingham. She was broken up in Belgium in 1936.Aug 03, 2010
Arrochar steamers878 viewsPassengers can be seen boarding one of two steamers alongside Arrochar pier at the head of Loch Long. Image circa 1906.Jun 25, 2010
Waverley leaves Helensburgh524 viewsThe Waverley is pictured leaving Helensburgh. Photo by Joe McKendrick, date unknown.Jun 16, 2010
Waverley at Helensburgh838 viewsThe paddle steamer Waverley arrives at Helensburgh pier in the evening sunlight of June 22 2005 on the annual midsummer sail. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. Photo by Robert Ryan.Jun 16, 2010
Map card532 viewsA map card showing the MacBrayne steamer PS Columba and a map of the Firth of Clyde, circa 1902.Apr 23, 2010
Steamer at Garelochhead565 viewsA steamer is berthed at the pier at Garelochhead, probably the Lucy Ashton which called regularly from 1906 until the pier closed in 1939. Image circa 1905.Mar 09, 2010
Redgauntlet506 viewsThe Clyde paddle steamer Redgauntlet saw service as a World War One minesweeper. Built by Barclay Curle in 1895 for the North British Railway, she served on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. In August 1899 she ran on to rocks off Arran in a gale and was badly holed, but the captain ran her up the beach so that crew and passengers could be rescued. After repairs, she was moved to the Forth in 1909 and then sold to the Galloway Steam Packet Company. Later she went to Algeria and was broken up about 1934.Mar 09, 2010
Jeanie Deans at Arrochar681 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans leaves Arrochar, circa 1931. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.Jan 20, 2010
Talisman at Rhu580 viewsThe North British steamer Talisman, built in 1896 by A. & J.Inglis, approaches Rhu Pier. In the background is the Training Ship Empress, while on the right Rosneath Castle can be seen across the loch. This image, circa 1915, was used on the cover of John Hood's book of old photos entitled 'Old HELENSBURGH, RHU & SHANDON'.Jan 20, 2010
Frozen steamer622 viewsThe Maid of the Loch steamer is ice-bound beside the pier at Balloch, Loch Lomond, in the big freeze of 1963. People can be seen standing on the ice at the end of the pier. Photo by Iain Duncan.Jan 08, 2010
Redgauntlet and Kenilworth562 viewsThe North British Railway steamers Redgauntlet and Kenilworth are pictured at Craigendoran Pier in this excellent 1905 picture. A cart loaded with coal is waiting on the left to refuel the Redgauntlet after the passengers have alighted.Oct 08, 2009
74 files on 7 page(s) 3