Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Last additions - Transport — Steamers
Luss_steamer3641~1.jpg
Loch Lomond steamer437 viewsThis picture of a steamer, probably the SS St George, in Luss Straits was published by C.R.Gilchrist & Sons, Alexandria, circa 1926.May 09, 2008
Kenilworth2883.jpg
PS Kenilworth508 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed. Feb 06, 2008
PS_Caledonia_at_Ayr2652.jpg
PS Caledonia497 viewsThe paddle steamer Caledonia, seen leaving Ayr in the 1960s, was launched on February 1 1934 by Wm. Denny & Bros. Ltd. at Dumbarton. The 624-ton vessel served as a minesweeper named HMS Goatfell during the Second World War. After being based at Ayr, she replaced the Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran. After 1969, renamed Old Caledonia, she served as a Bass Charrington floating pub moored on the Embankment in central London, until badly damaged by fire in 1980, then was scrapped.Jan 16, 2008
Rhu_steamer2532.jpg
Steamer at Rhu490 viewsA steamer, probably the 271-ton Lucy Ashton which was used on the Craigendoran-Gareloch run, leaves Rhu (then Row) Pier, with the training ship Empress beyond. Circa 1905.Jan 09, 2008
Maid_of_the_Loch2521.jpg
Maid of the Loch451 viewsThe paddle steamer Maid of the Loch leaving Inversnaid for a cruise to the head of Loch Lomond in June 1968. The 555-ton vessel was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch, reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier by the Maid Preservation Society.Jan 09, 2008
PS_Saint_Columba2284.jpg
TS Saint Columba543 viewsThe 785-ton turbine steamer was launched on April 9 1912 at the yard of William Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton. Placed on the Campeltown run in succession to her namesake, she was requisitioned as a troop transport ship from 1915 to 1919 during which time she rammed and sank a German U-Boat. After the war she served Campbeltown, Inveraray and Ardrishaig until World War Two, when she was an accommodation ship at Greenock. She returned to the summer Ardrishaig service from 1947 until the end of the 1958 season, but was withdrawn and scrapped shortly afterwards. She is pictured arriving at Rothesay, circa 1950.Dec 28, 2007
TSS_Duchess_of_Montrose2275.jpg
TSS Duchess of Montrose469 viewsThe 806-ton turbine steamer was launched on May 10 1930 at the yard of William Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton. The first 'one-class' vessel on the Clyde, she cruised in the lower Firth to Arran, Ayr and as far as Stranraer, Campbeltown and Inveraray, and she remained on the Clyde during World War II serving Wemyss Bay and Rothesay. Converted to oil in 1956 she undertook the long cruises, especially to Inveraray, in the post-war period. She was withdrawn in 1964, and scrapped in Ghent, Belgium, in 1965.Dec 28, 2007
PS_Juno21910.jpg
PS Juno447 viewsOriginally ordered by South of England owners, the 592-ton Juno was built by Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding (formerly Thomson) in 1898. She was based at Ayr, where this picture was taken circa 1922, and used for excursions. During World War One she was requisitioned as a minesweeper on the Firth of Forth as HMS Junior. After the war she was based again at Ayr and was there until the end of the 1931 season, before being scrapped the following year.Dec 27, 2007
PS_Columba11.jpg
PS Columba437 viewsBuilt in 1878 by J. & G.Thomson at Clydebank, the 602-ton Columba is regarded as the most famous and luxurious Clyde steamer. An early steel-hulled vessel and at 301 feet, the largest Clyde steamer of her time, she operated the Glasgow to Ardrishaig service as part of MacBraynes 'Royal Route' to Oban. Reboilered in 1900, she was sold after the 1935 season, and broken up at Dalmuir. She is pictured off Gourock. Image date unknown.Dec 24, 2007
Waverley20414.jpg
PS Waverley393 viewsBuilt by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the previous Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, she cruised to all parts of the Clyde Estuary until withdrawn after the 1973 season by Caledonian-MacBrayne. Next year she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society after a massive public campaign in Scotland, and re-entered service in 1975 with support from local authorities. She calls regularly at Helensburgh during the summer. She is pictured at Gourock in 1970.Dec 24, 2007
Duchess_of_Argyll2021.jpg
TS Duchess of Argyll542 viewsThe 593-ton turbine steamer Duchess of Argyll was built by William Denny & Brothers at Dumbarton in 1906 for the Ardrossan to Arran run. Requisitioned as a transport ship in World War One, she returned to service in the 1919 season, making the Kyles of Bute and Arran run her own. She moved to the long cruises to Inveraray and Campbeltown in 1936, returned to the Kyles of Bute run after the war, and was sold in 1952 to the Admiralty for experimental work at Portland. She was scrapped at Newhaven in 1970. Dec 24, 2007
Lucy_Ashton-21909.jpg
PS Lucy Ashton494 viewsThe Lucy Ashton approaches Barremman Pier at Clynder. She operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. The pier was built about 1887 on the instructions of Robert Thom, owner of Barremman Estate, and demolished in 1967.Dec 23, 2007
71 files on 6 page(s) 5