Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Last additions - Transport — Steamers
Talisman1875.jpg
DEPV Talisman462 viewsBuilt in 1935 by A. & J.Inglis, Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the London & North Eastern Railway, this 544-ton diesel-electric direct drive paddle steamer was used on year-round runs from Craigendoran to Rothesay and the Kyles of Bute. She saw World War Two service as HMS Aristocrat, including acting as a HQ ship at the Normandy landings. After 1953 she was allocated to the Wemyss Bay - Largs - Millport ferry route. She was withdrawn after the 1966 season and broken up for scrap at Dalmuir in 1967.Dec 23, 2007
Lucy_Ashton1883.jpg
PS Lucy Ashton459 viewsThe 271-ton Lucy Ashton was launched on May 24 1888 by T.B.Seath at Rutherglen. She began on the Holy Loch run but later became more familiar on the Gareloch service from Craigendoran. She remained on the Clyde throughout both world wars. Pictured in 1947 after her post-war refurbishment, she made her last run in February 1949. Her stripped down hull saw further experimental use by the British Shipbuilding Research Association, including being fitted with a jet engine.Dec 23, 2007
Jeanie_Deans-21891.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans638 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.Dec 23, 2007
Jeanie_Deans-31862.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans664 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans in Loch Long. Built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, she was extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.Dec 23, 2007
Maid_of_the_Loch1834.jpg
PS Maid of the Loch437 viewsThe 555 ton Maid of the Loch was the last paddle steamer built in Britain, and the last of a long line of Loch Lomond steamers beginning about 1816. Built by A. & J.Inglis of Glasgow, she was dismantled, shipped by rail to Balloch where the sections were reassembled, and launched on March 5 1953. Her last commercial sailing was in August 1981, and now she is looked after at Balloch Pier — where this picture was taken in 1968 — by the Maid of the Loch Preservation Society.Dec 22, 2007
Marmion1805.jpg
PS Marmion429 viewsLaunched on May 5 1906 at A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, the 403 ton Marmion was used on the Arrochar and Loch Goil service for the North British Steam Packet Company. She was requisitioned for mineweeping at Dover from 1915 as HMS Marmion II, and returned to regular Clyde service in 1926. Again she was requisitioned for war service, stationed at Harwich. After surviving the Dunkirk evacuation, she was sunk by enemy bombers at Harwich on the night of April 8 1941 and was later raised and scrapped.Dec 22, 2007
Jeanie_Deans-11764.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans621 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans in British Railways livery, between nationalisation in 1948 and the transfer to the Caledonian Steam Packet Company in 1951. Built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, she was extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.Dec 21, 2007
Image1-154.jpg
Loch Lomond steamer527 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer, possibly the SS Prince George, meets the train at Balloch Pier, circa 1917.Dec 06, 2007
SS_Prince_George8.jpg
SS Prince George402 viewsThe 256-ton Prince George, pictured at Balloch pier packed with passengers, was in service on Loch Lomond from 1899 to 1938. Built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, she was towed up the Leven. Her machinery meant she was rather expensive to operate. Most of her service was on the Balloch to Ardlui route, although she did do some afternoon excursion work. She was withdrawn and laid up at Balloch in 1938. Image date unknown.Nov 22, 2007
PS_Balmoral_198719.jpg
All Aboard446 viewsPassengers prepare to board the steamer Balmoral at Helensburgh Pier in 1987.Nov 09, 2007
Ghd_steamer0162.jpg
Steamer at Garelochhead Pier590 viewsA steamer is berthed at the pier at Garelochhead, probably the Lucy Ashton which called regularly from 1906 until the pier closed in 1939. Image circa 1905.Oct 16, 2007
 
71 files on 6 page(s) 6