Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Last additions
Tom-Guthrie-seaplane-w.jpg
Tom Guthrie's seaplane5 viewsRhu man Tom Guthrie, son of Glasgow Boy artist Sir James Guthrie, set up a company called Clyde Flying Boats Ltd. in 1933, offering pleasure flights at ten shillings and to see Loch Lomond for £1. The aircraft, seen at Helensburgh pier, was a SARO Cutty Sark, and was kept overnight at Inchmurrin Island on Loch Lomond.Feb 23, 2015
Kidston-Gareloch-w.jpg
Gareloch from Kidston4 viewsA sunlit evening view of the Gareloch from Kidston Park. Image circa 2005 by Donald Fullarton.Feb 23, 2015
Hiawatha-cast.jpg
Hiawatha cast7 viewsThe cast of the local production of 'Hiawatha's Wedding Feast and Death of Minnehaha' at Helensburgh's Victoria Hall on April 18 1906. The conductor was E.W.Stanton, the cellist G.H.Stanton, and the soloists Major (later Provost) John F.Duncan and Mrs Hyllested. William Battrum Lever (also a Provost) played the harmonium. Photo by Robert Thorburn, supplied by his grandson Sandy Thorburn.Feb 23, 2015
maclarens-garage-w.jpg
MacLaren's Garage8 viewsThis garage stood at the junction of East King Street and Lomond Street until it was destroyed by fire in the 1970s, when it was Phipps Motors. Photo by Robert Thorburn, supplied by his grandson Sandy Thorburn. Image date unknown.Feb 23, 2015
Hel-Times-postcard-w.jpg
Spoof card12 viewsA card produced by Valentine's of Dundee showing a poster for an Extra Special Edition of the Helensburgh Times announcing someone's arrival in the town. A blank line was left to fill in the name — in this case Dickie. Image circa 1912.Feb 10, 2015
St-Bride_s-Church-sketch.jpg
Sketch of St Bride's Church22 viewsA sketch of St Bride's Church, which stood in West King Street at the junction with John Street. It is from the book 'Sketches of Churches and Clergy, published by Macneur and Bryden Ltd. of Helensburgh in 1889. Originally known as the West Parish Church, St Bride's Church was opened on March 10 1878. Its first minister was the Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. In 1981 it was united with the then Old and St Andrew's Church in Colquhoun Square to become the West Kirk, and a few years later it was demolished and replaced by a new burgh library and flats.Feb 05, 2015
Kilmahew_Castle_2015-w.jpg
Kilmahew Castle33 viewsKilmahew Castle at Cardross was built on land granted to the Napier family by Malcolm, the Earl of Lennox, around 1290. The castle, originally a four-storey 16th century tower house, was built in the 16th century by the Napiers, who owned it until 1820. The estate had to be sold to pay off the last Laird's gambling debts. The ruins were acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, in 1948, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. Image, taken on February 1 2015, supplied by Stewart Noble.Feb 02, 2015
Whitelaw-Hamilton-Glen-Fruin-w.jpg
Glen Fruin High Road39 viewsAn 83 x 108 cm oil on canvas view of Glen Fruin by Helensburgh artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton RSA RSW (1860-1932). Image by courtesy of the Paisley Art Institute Collection, held by Paisley Museum and Art Galleries, Renfrewshire Council. Jan 26, 2015
1968-Miss-Interflora-w.jpg
Exchange choice47 viewsAnne McBrierty is seen receiving flowers from Helensburgh Advertiser columnist Betty Wood (left) after she was chosen to represent Helensburgh Telephone Exchange in the Miss Interflora competition in April 1968. Also in the picture are Grace Robertson and Morag MacPherson.Jan 26, 2015
Rev_John_Baird_original_refurb.jpg
The Rev John Baird34 viewsAn image of the Rev John Baird (1842-1932), father of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He was the first minister of what was originally known as the West Parish Church at the corner of William Street and West King Street. It was opened on March 10 1878 and later became St Bride's Church, which was closed as a place of worship in 1981 and demolished in 1990. This image is a retouched version of a badly stained charcoal etching which is in the Argyll and Bute Council Libraries collection. His grandson, Heritage Trust president Professor Malcolm Baird, dates it at c.1880, and would like to find out who was the artist.Jan 14, 2015
Colquhoun_Square_1959.jpg
Colquhoun Square west63 viewsA 1959 image of Colquhoun Square, which does not appear to have any lamp posts.Jan 14, 2015
Craigendoran_Avenue~0.jpg
Craigendoran53 viewsCraigendoran Avenue, Helensburgh, with its row of townhouses leading down to the Clyde. Image date unknown.Jan 14, 2015
1690 files on 141 page(s) 1