Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Last additions
Seafront_bandstand.jpg
Bandstand view314 viewsA 1913 image of the bandstand on Helensburgh's West Esplanade, with a steamer berthed at the pier beyond.Jul 23, 2013
Sinclair_Street~0.jpg
Lower Sinclair Street360 viewsLooking north up Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, from Clyde Street. The shop on the right is John Mitchell, wine merchant and grocer. Image by D.R.McCulloch, 62 West Clyde Street, date unknown.Jul 23, 2013
Clyde_convoy.jpg
Last convoy393 viewsThe last convoy of World War Two gathers in the Clyde off Gourock. This famous image was taken by outstanding Greenock photographer James Hall. Image date unknown.Jul 23, 2013
Clyde_Street_horses.jpg
Seafront carriages369 viewsChildren play around the William Street shelter on West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, as two horse-drawn carriages approach. Image circa 1909.Jul 23, 2013
Ferry_House.jpg
Ferry House300 viewsChildren play on the shore at Ferry House, Rosneath, formerly Ferry Inn. The Edwin Lutyens-designed building was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub, and for a time it was a home for injured soldiers. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle. Image circa 1904.Jul 23, 2013
Gareloch.jpg
Gareloch ship273 viewsA merchant ship is laid up in the Gareloch. Image circa 1938.Jul 23, 2013
Rhu_Narrows.jpg
Rhu Narrows281 viewsAn old image of the Gareloch from above Clynder showing Rhu Narrows as it used to be, before the passage between the Spit and Rosneath was widened for use by naval vessels and submarines. Image date unknown.Jul 23, 2013
Loch_Lomond_frozen.jpg
Loch Lomond frozen289 viewsIn the extreme winter of 1895 Loch Lomond froze over, and thousands of people came to skate or walk over the loch. This image from C.R.Gilchrist, Photo Publishers, Alexandria, dates from that time.Jul 22, 2013
Luss_village_Taylor.jpg
Luss village250 viewsPoet, artist and composer C.John Taylor (1915-98) painted this Luss village scene in oils, and it was used as a souvenir postcard to mark the village being used by Scottish Television as the location for the TV soap 'Take The High Road', which ran from 1980 to 2003. The Stockport-born artist lived on Seil Island near Oban for much of his life, and had a branch of his Highland Arts Exhibition business in Luss. Image circa 1990.Jul 22, 2013
Pier_crossing.jpg
Seafront crossing290 viewsThe junction of West Clyde Street and Colquhoun Street, Helensburgh, as it used to be, with a cobbled walkway across the road to the pier. On the corner, where there is now a three-storey shop and office block, is Robert Brown's 'Cyclist's Rest Pierhead Vaults' public house. Image circa 1907.Jul 22, 2013
Rossdhu_House.jpg
Rossdhu House345 viewsThe ancestral home of the Chiefs of the Clan Colquhoun at Luss, the stately Georgian mansion is now the clubhouse for the exclusive Loch Lomond Golf Club who lease the building and grounds from the Colquhoun family. Building of the central part of the mansion was started in 1772. Image circa 1908.Jul 22, 2013
Row_Parish_Church.jpg
Row Parish Church241 viewsA 1904 image of Rhu — then Row — Parish Church. It dates from 1851 and stands on the site of an 18th century predecessor. Amongst those buried in the kirkyard is Henry Bell, whose Comet was the world's first commercially successful steamship. In 1851 the marine engineer Robert Napier built the statue which today marks Bell's grave.Jul 22, 2013
1652 files on 138 page(s) 11