Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Last additions
HRSCDSBall1952-w.jpg
Royal Scottish Country Dance Society87 viewsMembers of the West Dunbartonshire branch of the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society pictured at their Annual Ball in the Queen's Hotel Ballroom in Helensburgh on November 23 1951. The image was kindly supplied by Alex Hunter, from Pickering, Ontario, Canada, and shows in the front row (from left) his mother Mrs Fay Hunter, Robert Gray, Cathie Ramsay, the head teacher, then his father William Hunter who was president of the branch. Further back in the white dress is the late Mrs Norah Dunn, a founder of the branch.Apr 14, 2016
St-Mahew_s-Chapel-w.jpg
St Mahew's Chapel74 viewsThe Chapel of St Mahew at Kirkton of Kilmahew, Cardross. For many years a derelict graveyard surrounding the ruin of a small mediaeval chapel, the land became the property of the Archdiocese of Glasgow in 1948, and they decided to restore the ruined chapel. The work began in 1953, under the direction of Ian G.Lindsay and Partners of Edinburgh, and was brought to a successful conclusion within the Octave of the Ascension, May 22 1955, when the Archbishop of Glasgow, the Most Rev Donald A.Campbell, DD, celebrated in it the first Pontifical Mass after a lapse of some four centuries. It is structurally the church which was built in 1467, but a small vestry was added.Apr 12, 2016
Cardross-Parish-Church-w.jpg
Cardross Old Parish Church74 viewsThe church, the second on the site, was built in 1826 to designs by Greenock architect George Dempster. It was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers over the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower and walls were made safe in 1954 as a memorial, with the interior raised as a lawn, and the tower was restored in 1999. The graveyard contains monuments from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Apr 12, 2016
Auchengaich-cattle-w.jpg
Auchengaich cattle66 viewsCattle graze east of Auchengaich Farm in Glen Fruin on a sunny morning in 1910. Image supplied by Alistair McIntyre.Apr 08, 2016
Glen-Fruin-horses-1910-w.jpg
Heavy horses70 viewsHeavy horses pictured in Glen Fruin on a sunny evening in 1910. Image supplied by Alistair McIntyre.Apr 08, 2016
Old-Toll-house-2-w.jpg
Old Toll House91 viewsA lady, possibly the then owner, stands outside the Old Toll House at the top of Sinclair Street, which is currently up for sale. Image date unknown.Mar 30, 2016
Cairndhu,Ferniegair-w.jpg
Cairndhu and Ferniegair139 viewsTwo of Helensburgh's biggest mansions, Cairndhu and, on the right, Fergiegair — home of the Kidston family and demolished in the 1960s. Cairndhu was built in 1871 by architect William Leiper for John Ure, then Provost of Glasgow, and Ferniegair was built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman. Behind is Ardencaple Quadrant, built originally to house those who had been injured in the First World War. Image circa 1960.Mar 26, 2016
Hermitage-Bowling-Club-w.jpg
Hermitage Bowling Club125 viewsA 1980 image of a sunny day at the now closed Hermitage Bowling Club, also known as the Low Green, in Hermitage Park.Mar 26, 2016
Kirklands-WCS-w.jpg
Original Kirklands90 viewsA 1929 image of the original W.Kirkland toy shop at the junction of James Street and West Clyde Street. Later the business moved to West Princes Street.Mar 26, 2016
1881-Baird-poster-1-w.jpg
Evening lecture65 viewsThe Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird and minister of Helensburgh's West Established Church, later St Bride's Church, gave a lecture on the French Revolution in the Pavilion at Blanefield on February 10 1882. Image by courtesy of Michael Dryden.Mar 26, 2016
1881-Baird-poster-2-w.jpg
Evening lecture62 viewsThe Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird and minister of Helensburgh's West Established Church, later St Bride's Church, gave a lecture on Goethe in the Pavilion at Blanefield on February 11 1881. Image by courtesy of Michael Dryden.Mar 26, 2016
JLB-1929-Noctovision-w.jpg
Noctovision78 viewsA 1929 image of TV inventor John Logie Baird working on another of his inventions, Noctovision, a night vision device, on Boxhill in Surrey. It was slung on gimbals and rotated about a circular compass scale, and was said to be able to pick up a ship's lights in fog and give a compass bearing, or televise people who were in complete darkness.Mar 06, 2016
1814 files on 152 page(s) 6