Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Last additions
High-Green-15-w.jpg
High Green192 viewsA 1913 image of players and spectators at Helensburgh Bowling Club — known as the High Green, as opposed to the former Low Green at Hermitage Park — with the old pavilion in the south east corner.Dec 17, 2015
Landing-craft-w.jpg
Landing craft194 viewsOne of the Landing Craft which used to ply from Rhu to Benbecula is pictured moored at Helensburgh pier, while crowds on the seafront take advantage of the evening sunshine. Image circa 1973.Dec 17, 2015
Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg
Lady Helen Colquhoun147 viewsThis portrait of Lady Helen Colquhoun of Luss, wife of Sir James Colquhoun of Luss, is attributed to Scottish society portrait painter William Aikman (1682-1731) from Cairney, Fife. Sir James — who was succeeded by four others bearing the same name — bought what was then Milligs and decided to develop it into what became Helensburgh. The town was named after his wife Lady Helen (nee Sutherland). Image by courtesy of the current Baronet and Chief of Clan Colquhoun, Sir Malcolm Colquhoun of Luss.Dec 14, 2015
Colquhoun-Sir-James-w.jpg
Sir James Colquhoun136 viewsA portrait of Sir James Colquhoun of Luss — who was succeeded by four others bearing the same name — who bought what was then Milligs and decided to develop it into what became Helensburgh, which was named after his wife Lady Helen. The portrait is believed to be by David Martin (1737-97), a painter of over 300 portraits and engraver. Born in Anstruther, Fife, he studied in London and Italy before gaining a reputation as a portrait painter. Image by courtesy of the current Baronet and Chief of Clan Colquhoun, Sir Malcolm Colquhoun of Luss.Dec 14, 2015
Burgh-seafront-w.jpg
Burgh seafront184 viewsAn old view from the sea of Helensburgh seafront. The house on the extreme right is Seabank, built by businessman and benefactor Robert Thomson around 1800. It was later bought by the Kidston family, and became the home of Andrew Bonar Law — later to be Prime Minister — after his marriage in Helensburgh West Free Church on March 24 1891. It was demolished in the 1950s. Image date unknown.Dec 07, 2015
1880-Hel-from-pier-w.jpg
View from pier207 viewsAn 1880s image by James Valentine of the fishing boats on the beach and Helensburgh's west seafront.Dec 07, 2015
Still-Life-of-MHP-by-A_N_Paterson-w.jpg
Maggie Hamilton by her husband159 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, who painted this still life of her at their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.Dec 06, 2015
Mr-_-Mrs-A_N_Paterson-w.jpg
Artistic couple143 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, and the couple are seen here in their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.cx Dec 06, 2015
Maggie-Hamilton-_-children-w.jpg
Maggie Hamilton and her children140 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, and she is seen here with their children Alistair and Viola inside their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.Dec 06, 2015
Baird-with-equipment-w.jpg
Checking equipment144 viewsA press picture dated October 3 1929 shows John Logie Baird with his transmitting equipment. The caption stated: "Mr Wm Baird of London is the inventor of wireless vision, a means by which objects can be wirelessed without the aid of photographs, on the same principle as sound is now transmitted by wireless. By his invention, one will be able to receive messages as at present with the addition that the listener will actually be able to see who is speaking for see actual events at the moment they are occurring."Nov 29, 2015
Longcroft-from-west-25_11_15-w.jpg
Longcroft230 viewsThe traditional view from the west of Longcroft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, which was designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson in 1902. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years. 2015 photo by Donald Fullarton.Nov 26, 2015
Longcroft-from-east-25_11_15-w.jpg
Longcroft222 viewsA view from the east of Longcroft, West Rossdhu Drive, Helensburgh, which was designed and built by noted burgh architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson in 1902. He lived there with his artist wife Maggie, nee Whitelaw Hamilton, and family for many years. 2015 photo by Donald Fullarton.Nov 26, 2015
1817 files on 152 page(s) 8