Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Last additions - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Deborah-Kerr_David-Bruce-1990-w.jpg
Deborah Kerr at 708 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr is seen at the 1990 European Film Awards at in the entrance to Glasgow Royal Concert Hall with Helensburgh man David Bruce, who was Director of the Scottish Film Council and was mainly responsible for bringing the event to Glasgow. It was also attended by a number of international film stars, including Jeanne Moreau, Max von Sydow, Nastassia Kinski, Kenneth Branagh and Richard Attenborough. Film makers present included David Putnam and the great Ingmar Bergman and Andzej Wajda. Image by courtesy of David Bruce.Dec 14, 2017
Seafront-shelter-w.jpg
Air raid shelter10 viewsAn air raid shelter was created on Helensburgh seafront to the west of the Henry Bell obelisk in World War Two by excavating the seafront grass opposite the James Street/John Street block. But it was never used as it kept being flooded by sea water.Dec 12, 2017
Helensburgh_seafront.jpg
1885 Seafront37 viewsA view of the town from the pier c.1885, taken by pioneering Scottish photographer George Washington Wilson (1823-93) from Aberdeen. Reprinted as a postcard, it includes the Imperial Hotel, the Granary and the Old Parish Church.Nov 19, 2017
Queen_s-Hotel-w.jpg
Queen's Hotel36 viewsThe Queen's Hotel on Helensburgh eastern seafront was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
Nov 17, 2017
St-Michael_s-w.jpg
St Michael's Church35 viewsHelensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Scottish Episcopal Church stands at the corner of William Street and West Princes Street. On Sunday August 22 1841 a congregation of Scottish Episcopalians met in the room of a house in William Street, where Divine Service was solemnised by the Very Rev William Routledge. Their first church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, opened on the site of the present St Michael's Church in 1843. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, a prolific architect and pupil of George Gilbert Scott, chose the style of the Gothic Revival for the current church which was consecrated on May 7 1868. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Modan_s-w.jpg
St Modan's Church34 viewsSt Modan's Church at Rosneath. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
United-Reformed-Church-w.jpg
United Reformed Church40 viewsHelensburgh's United Reformed church at the corner of James Street and West Princes Street was originally Helensburgh Congregational Church. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
Shandon-w.jpg
Shandon Church40 viewsShandon Church on Garelochside, opposite Shandon Pier, is now a private dwelling. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Bride_s-w.jpg
St Bride's Church40 viewsPhoto by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Columba-w.jpg
St Columba Church39 viewsPhoto by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Joseph_s-w.jpg
St Joseph's Church40 viewsPhoto by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
St-Mahew_s-w.jpg
St Mahew's41 viewsThe historic St Mahew's Church at Cardross. Photo by Professor John Hume.Oct 20, 2017
1906 files on 159 page(s) 1