Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery > Transport — Steamers

Most viewed - Transport — Steamers
Dandie Dinmont at Shandon Pier640 viewsThe 195 feet 218 ton Dandie Dinmont, the second steamer to bear the name, was built in 1895 by A. and J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the North British Steam Packet Company for use on the Craigendoran to Dunoon and Holy Loch routes, and remained on station during World War One. After being laid up in 1926 and 1927, the following year she went to the London and North Eastern Railway for the Hull to Holland ferry service and was renamed PS Frodingham. She was broken up in Belgium in 1936.
TS Duchess of Argyll620 viewsThe 593-ton turbine steamer Duchess of Argyll was built by William Denny & Brothers at Dumbarton in 1906 for the Ardrossan to Arran run. Requisitioned as a transport ship in World War One, she returned to service in the 1919 season, making the Kyles of Bute and Arran run her own. She moved to the long cruises to Inveraray and Campbeltown in 1936, returned to the Kyles of Bute run after the war, and was sold in 1952 to the Admiralty for experimental work at Portland. She was scrapped at Newhaven in 1970.
Jeanie Deans at Arrochar617 viewsThe popular paddle steamer Jeanie Deans leaves Arrochar, circa 1931. She was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
Loch Lomond steamer608 viewsA Loch Lomond steamer, possibly the SS Prince George, meets the train at Balloch Pier, circa 1917.
Waverley and Balmoral600 viewsThe Paddle Steamer Waverley, built in 1947 on the Clyde, and Classic Cruise Ship Balmoral, built in 1949 in Southampton, were together in dry dock for the first time ever on April 18 2012. The Garvel Clyde Dry Dock in Greenock was playing host to these ships, which this year are celebrating 200 years of commercial steam navigation, with the anniversary of Henry Bell’s Comet which was built in Port Glasgow.
Craigendoran steamers595 viewsCraigendoran pier in the late 1890s, with the steamers Red Gauntlet, Lady Clare and Dandie Dinmont.
TS Saint Columba587 viewsThe 785-ton turbine steamer was launched on April 9 1912 at the yard of William Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton. Placed on the Campeltown run in succession to her namesake, she was requisitioned as a troop transport ship from 1915 to 1919 during which time she rammed and sank a German U-Boat. After the war she served Campbeltown, Inveraray and Ardrishaig until World War Two, when she was an accommodation ship at Greenock. She returned to the summer Ardrishaig service from 1947 until the end of the 1958 season, but was withdrawn and scrapped shortly afterwards. She is pictured arriving at Rothesay, circa 1950.
Waverley at Craigendoran572 viewsBuilt by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow in 1946, the 693-ton Waverley entered service in 1947 and is the world's last sea-going paddler. She replaced the previous Waverley, built in 1899 and sunk at Dunkirk in 1940, andcruised to all parts of the Clyde Estuary until withdrawn after the 1973 season by Caledonian-MacBrayne. Next year she was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and re-entered service in 1975 with support from local authorities. She is pictured at Craigendoran pier in 1972.
Lucy Ashton at Helensburgh566 viewsThe 200 ton steamer Lucy Ashton, built in 1888, leaves Helensburgh pier for Craigendoran. Image date unknown, but before the outdoor swimming pool was built in 1928.
PS Kenilworth562 viewsA 390-ton paddle steamer built in 1898 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse for the North British Steam Packet Company, she operated on the Clyde until 1937, serving initially on the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. She was refurbished and reboilered in 1915 and saw limited World War One service from 1917-19 as a minesweeper on the South Coast. Upon her return she reopened the Arrochar excursion service. Retired in 1937, she was broken up the following year at the yard where she had been constructed.
Frozen steamer554 viewsThe Maid of the Loch steamer is ice-bound beside the pier at Balloch, Loch Lomond, in the big freeze of 1963. People can be seen standing on the ice at the end of the pier. Photo by Iain Duncan.
Loch Lomond 1900544 viewsA paddle steamer pictured on Loch Lomond on July 23 1900.
71 files on 6 page(s) 2