Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Inverclyde,_Cove.jpg
Inverclyde, Cove1129 viewsInverclyde at Cove while it was a Holiday Home run by Glasgow YMCA. Also known as Hartfield House, this Cove mansion was owned at one time by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, before it became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Hermitage-stones-w.jpg
Hermitage carvings1123 viewsCarvings from the frontage saved after the old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street was demolished. It was built in 1880 in late Gothic style for the School Board of Row on land formerly part of Hermitage House made available by the Cramb family, and demolished in 1977 by George Hood & Co. Ltd. This image compilation is from photos taken by Stewart Noble of the carvings, now in the garden of the home of Mr Hood's son Charlie.
Rhu-Amateurs-19664108.jpg
Rhu Amateurs1120 viewsThe Rhu Amateurs team and officials Ian McKay, Donny Thomson and Richard Don in August 1966. Captain Finlay Colquhoun is front row centre, with Joe McKell on his right. The back row includes Alistair Glendye, Billy Goodall, keeper Finlay MacDonald, and Jim Shields.
Loch_Lomond_Youth_Hostel.jpg
Loch Lomond Youth Hostel1119 viewsThe former Loch Lomond Youth Hostel, Auchendennan, overlooks the loch at Duck Bay. Built on the site of Robert the Bruce’s hunting lodge, the mansion — now back in private ownership — has many original features, including a sweeping staircase with vast stained glass windows, a ballroom, and even a claimed haunted room. Erected from 1842-46 for George Martin, a Glasgow merchant, with later additions to the house by Mr Chrystal, a chemical manufacturer, it passed to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association in 1945 and was sold in 2013. Image circa 1959.
Hermitage_Academy_Class_2A_1967-68.jpg
Hermitage Academy Class 2A 1967-81117 viewsBack row: Norman McIvor, Geoffrey Thompson, George Beggs, Andrew McNeill, Stanley Sowinsky, Jamie Hulme, Scott Paige, Robert Prescott, George Cusker, Richard Makeham, Alan Oldfield; middle: David Harris, Stephen Richards, Ian Doig, Sharon Temple, Sheena Smith, Elizabeth Truscott, Noelle Odling, Lynne Price, Laura Johnstone, Duncan Campbell, Robbie McLean, John Burnhill; front: Sandra Werry, Fiona Bryce, Susan Cogger, Heather Mennie, Marion Hancox, Susan Taylor, Mary Ross, Rosalind Mulligan, Anne Munn, Lorna Will, Alison McLuskie. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
St_Joseph_s_pupils_1958.jpg
St Joseph's Primary 2 and 3, circa 19581117 viewsBack:Christine Cavana, John McCann, Manya Masikevic (?), Peter Cannon, Muriel Cole, Simon Cavana, Kathleen Skea, Evelyn Roach, Tony Graham, Catherine Gallagher, Tommy MacLaughlan, Elizabeth McFarlane, Manus McClafferty; middle: John Harvey, Ian Donnachie, Sally Campbell, Kay Campbell, Anne Savage, Isabel Kiernan, Quentin Hefferman, Mary McClafferty, Charlie Booth, Jessie Grant, Ian Donnachie, Andrew McKenzie, Patricia Evans, Jeanette Sharkey; front: Michael McGinley, Mary Brabender, Hugh O’Brien, Linda McQueen, John ?, Betty McAndrew, Terence Neil, Graham McKenzie, Ian Mundie, Maisie McCallum, John McLelland, Maureen Reilly, James Brabender, Marion McGunigal, Peter Barnes. Image supplied by the daughter of the late Manus McLafferty, who later became a boat painter at McGruer's Yard at Clynder; names supplied by Patricia Willis (nee Evans).
donkeys.jpg
Donkey Rides1116 viewsUndated, but possibly the 1960s. Can anyone provide a date?
This image is watermarked.
Gareloch-mothballed-ship4651.jpg
Mothballed warships1111 viewsGarelochhead and the Gareloch from Whistlefield Brae, showing mothballed Royal Navy warships lying at anchor in the loch — a ship of the King George V battleship class in the foreground and two others of the class in the background. The first of these ships was laid up there after decommissioning in November 1949, followed by King George V (June 1950) and Duke of York (November 1951). Approval for scrapping these ships was given in April 1957, so the image date is likely to be between 1951 and 1957.
Helensburgh-1st-XV4013.jpg
Helensburgh Rugby Club1110 viewsOne of the earliest Helensburgh Rugby Club team photos, taken in October 1969. Standing (from left): Julian Rey, Douglas Grewcock, Howard Morrison, Douglas Dow, Paul Johnston, unknown, Bob Stretch; front: Alan Howat, Dave Muir, Guy Grant, the Rev Russell Davidson, Graeme Heron, Brian Johnstone, Paddy Burns, Fergus Howat.
New_Year_Swim1.jpg
New Year Swim 19661107 viewsBy tradition, girls were the first to enter the water at Helensburgh pier. The first man in was Helensburgh Swimming Club president Angus Trail, his 38th Ne'erday plunge. This was the first year that certificates were presented to the participants. Designed by local artist Gregor Ian Smith, they bore the proud inscription 'Many are cauld but few are frozen'.
Ferniegair.jpg
Ferniegair1106 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle1105 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Photo taken in 1946.
1788 files on 149 page(s) 10