Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
PS_Talisman061.jpg
PS Talisman330 viewsThe North British steamer Talisman, built in 1896 by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, for the Craigendoran to Rothesay route. Undertook World War One service as HMS Talla sweeping mines at Troon and Portsmouth. On refit after the war, the deck saloon was extended the full width of the hull and the bridge was moved forward of the funnel. She was on the Rothesay and Kyles of Bute service until the end of the 1934 season, and then was scrapped at Barrow. Image circa 1920.
St_Michael_s_social_c1956.jpg
St Michael's Social330 viewsA social occasion at Helensburgh's St Michael and All Angels Church circa 1954. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of the church from 1951-9 and is in the picture.
craigendoran.jpg
Craigendoran329 viewsA view of Craigendoran from the pier. Date unknown.
St-Modan_s-Church5151~0.jpg
St Modan's, Rosneath329 viewsSt Modan founded a church at Rosneath in the 6th century, and died there. In 1880, a finely carved stone was dug up from the grounds of the present church. It has been dated to circa 800 A.D. and is thought to represent the tombstone of St Modan. It is preserved inside the church. The present building celebrated its centenary in 1953. In the grounds are the ruins of the previous church (1780), and the only known grave in Scotland of an African slave, Robert Story, who came to Scotland as a freed slave.
The_Old_Kirk_1825.jpg
First church329 viewsHelensburgh's first Presbyterian Church, built in Colquhoun Square in 1825 three years after worshippers started holding services in a tent beside King Street. The first minister, the Rev John Anderson, was called in 1827, and in 1839 he and most of the congregation were received into the Church of Scotland.
West-Free-Church-porch-1892-w1.jpg
1892 Leiper Porch329 viewsA ceremony taking place during the construction of the William Leiper Porch at the West Free Church (now West Kirk) in mid-1982. The porch was built as a memorial to the Rev Alexander Anderson, minister of the church, who died in 1891. On the platform are two choirs and church dignitaries, and a large crowd are watching. On a ladder can be seen the name of local painting and decorating firm J.W.McCulloch who were in business in Colquhoun Square until a few years ago. Image by kind permission of the West Kirk.
Old_Gareloch_View.jpg
View over loch328 viewsA 1918 image of an evening view from above Helensburgh across the Gareloch to the tip of the Rosneath Peninsula. On the left is Kidston Park, with the area below Ardencaple Castle still undeveloped, and to the right is the Training Ship Empress.
Rhu_Arden_05_10_13.jpg
Rhu Arden328 viewsA 2013 image of Rhu Arden, 1 Upper Sutherland Crescent, Helensburgh, which was built about 1871 by noted architect William Leiper and was originally named Bonnington. Later he built his own home, Terpersie, next door. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Rhu_Church2792.jpg
Row (Rhu) Parish Church328 viewsRow (Rhu) Parish and War Memorial. From a postcard published by Winton, Stationer, Post Office, Row. Image date unknown.
A_Fresh_Day,_Portincaple,_Loch_Long____by_Violet_Kay.jpg
“A Fresh Day, Portincaple, Loch Long” by Violet Kay327 viewsViolet MacNeish Kay (1914–1971) was the daughter of well known artist James Kay (1858–1942), who designed their house Crimea on a hill at Whistlefield, overlooking Loch Long, and it is this view that is the subject of many of their paintings. This painting was acquired in 2009 by the Anderson Trust.
Barons_Point_Cove.jpg
Cove327 viewsCove is pictured from Baron Point in this picture printed in Saxony. Image date unknown, but probably from the early 1900s.
Colquhoun_Square018.jpg
Colquhoun Square327 viewsThe north west quadrant of Helensburgh's Colquhoun Square before the centenary monument was erected in the middle of the square. Image circa 1901.
1658 files on 139 page(s) 101