Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Junior-Choir.jpg
St Andrew's Church Junior Choir517 viewsThe Junior Choir of the then St Andrew's Church (now Helensburgh Parish Church) is pictured about 1961. The choir was conducted by Mrs McIntyre (wife of Jim McIntyre of Dow's meat counter) and then by Mrs Rita Peoples. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan.
King-George-letter-w.jpg
King's letter517 viewsThis letter was a personal message following World War Two from King George to schoolchildren throughout Britain, sent on June 8 1946. This copy was donated to Helensburgh Heritage Trust by Trust director Cecilia Dunlop.
Colour-TV-in-1928.jpg
Colour TV516 viewsColour TV in 1928. Major A.G.Church is on the right of the picture, with John Logie Baird beside the receiver.
Comet-B-Aug-1962.jpg
Comet replica 1962516 viewsThe Comet replica, built by apprentices at William Lithgow at Port Glasgow for the 150th anniversary of the first sailing of Henry Bell's Comet, Europe's first commercial steamship, is seen steaming down river past a cruise liner. To mark the anniversary, the replica sailed from Port Glasgow to Helensburgh, with civic dignitaries on board in costume for 1812. Image taken and supplied by Jim Bamber.
General_Booth9.jpg
General Booth515 viewsThe founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, arrives at Helensburgh pier prior to speaking at the Victoria Hall in November 1910, and is greeted by Provost Sam Bryden. Booth, born in 1826, was the son of a Nottingham builder and converted to Christianity aged 15. He became a revivalist preacher, and in 1865 he and his wife Catherine set up a Christian Mission in London's east end to help the poor. It was reorganised along military lines in 1878, and the Salvation Army was born. He died in 1912.
Lomond-St-Drill-Hall-w.jpg
On parade515 viewsArgyll and Sutherlands Highlanders Territorials on parade outside the Lomond Street Drill Hall in September 1939. From left: Lachie McDonald, Jimmy Handyside, Jock McDonald. Image supplied by Mrs Betty Stewart, Lachie's daughter/
Rhu_Village.jpg
Rhu village centre515 viewsAn old view of Rhu showing the Post Office and Inn, published by Winton, Stationer, Rhu Post Office. Image date unknown.
Auchendennan2451.jpg
Auchendennan514 viewsAuchendennan House was from 1945 to 2013 a Youth Hostel and is reputed to have its own ghost. This view, circa 1956, shows Loch Lomond and Inchmurrin island beyond. Used for hunting by Robert the Bruce when he lived at Cardross, and then a church possession of Dunbarton, Auchendennan was feued about the time of Flodden to one of the Dennistouns, Andrew of Cardross, whose descendants held it for 100 years and then the Napiers of Kilmahew for another 100 years. The present mansion was built in 1867 by Glasgow merchant George Martin, and it is now back in private ownership.
Daylight-TV-1930.jpg
Daylight TV514 viewsDaylight TV at Long Acre in 1930, with John Logie Baird on the right.
Gareloch_from_Rhu.jpg
Gareloch from above Rhu514 viewsA view over Rhu Spit — before it was dredged and widened — to Rosneath from above Rhu. Image circa 1920.
Kidston_Bay_steamer.jpg
Gareloch view514 viewsA view of the Gareloch from near Kidston Park showing a steamer which has just passed the Training Ship Empress. Image circa 1912.
1920s-Territorials-w.jpg
Camp photo513 viewsArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders Territorials from Helensburgh pictured at camp in the 1920s. Image supplied by Mrs Betty Stewart, whose father, Lachie McDonald, is in the picture.
1870 files on 156 page(s) 108