Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Craigendoran_Avenue~0.jpg
Craigendoran511 viewsCraigendoran Avenue, Helensburgh, with its row of townhouses leading down to the Clyde. Image date unknown.
Park_Church.jpg
Park Church511 viewsPark Church at the junction of East King Street and Charlotte Street, Helensburgh, now the Buddhist Meditation Centre of Scotland. Built in 1862 as the East Free Church, it became Park United Free Church in 1900 following the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church. It became Park Church in 1929 when the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland united as the Church of Scotland. The congregation became part of Helensburgh Parish Church, and in 2016 the church building was bought by Buddhists. Image published by M.C.Robertson, West End Library, Helensburgh, circa 1912.
Portincaple089~0.jpg
Portincaple511 viewsA view of the fishing village of Portincaple on Loch Long, circa 1925.
Deborah-Kerr-autographed-pic1.jpg
Deborah Kerr CBE510 viewsAn autographed studio shot of Oscar-winning Helensburgh film and stage star Deborah Kerr CBE, who died in Suffolk on October 16 2007 at the age of 86.
Gregor_Ian_Smith3181.jpg
Gregor Ian Smith510 viewsA drawing of Helensburgh artist Gregor Ian Smith as a young man by his friend and fellow artist James Dunlop Burgess. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Burnfoot.jpg
Burnfoot509 viewsThe Burnfoot farmhouse at Arden on Loch Lomondside, looking north towards Ben Lomond. Also known as Burnfoot of Ross Farm. Nearby the ferry to Inchmurrin leaves. Image circa 1920.
Comet-D-Aug-1962.jpg
Comet replica 1962509 viewsThe Comet replica, built by apprentices at William Lithgow at Port Glasgow for the 150th anniversary of the first sailing of Henry Bell's Comet, Europe's first commercial steamship, is seen steaming across the Clyde accompanied by a fleet of yachts. To mark the anniversary, the replica sailed from Port Glasgow to Helensburgh, with civic dignitaries on board in costume for 1812. Image taken and supplied by Jim Bamber.
Cairney,-King-Clark4372~0.jpg
Bard's comely wench508 viewsHelensburgh girl Catherine King-Clark, a former St Bride's School pupil studying at Edinburgh School of Art, worked with actor John Cairney in a film on the life of national bard Robert Burns, directed and produced by Robert Crichton in 1973. She played one of Burns' many loves, Anne Park, and she and the other members of the cast apart from Cairney all appeared in still photographs used as flashbacks.
Garelochhead_Hotel_view~0.jpg
Garelochhead Hotel view508 viewsThe view looking north from outside Garelochhead Hotel. It was was demolished following a serious fire in the 1990s. Image circa 1906.
Luss-houseboats-1-w.jpg
Houseboats at Luss508 viewsHouseboats moored opposite Aldochlay, near Luss, on Loch Lomond. Image date unknown.
Maggie-Hamilton-w.jpg
Maggie Hamilton508 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, and she is seen here with their children Alistair and Viola outside their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.
Patients-at-wishing-well.jpg
At the Wishing Well508 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Here some of the patients and staff are seen posing beside the Wishing Well in Hermitage Park. Image date unknown.
1870 files on 156 page(s) 111