Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Portincaple-House.jpg
Portincaple House776 viewsPortincaple House on Loch Longside was also known as Ferry House, and the ferry plied across the loch to Mark. An open-air church service was held annually on the front lawn on Glasgow Fair Sunday. It was the home of ferryman and fisherman Finlay McNab and his family, and also the holiday home of the controversial Nottingham MP Charles Bradlaugh. Image circa 1902.
clydestcart.jpg
East Clyde Street767 viewsThe lamp standard on the left marks the entrance to the Queen's Hotel. Postmarked 1920.
1970-Aerial-view-11.jpg
Town centre aerial view761 viewsThis picture of the central part of Helensburgh is circa 1970.
Whistlers_Glen06610.jpg
Whistler's Glen761 viewsIllegal distilling was a feature in the Gareloch area until about 1830, and Whistler's Glen above Rhu was so named from the practice of signalling the approach of the Gauger or Exciseman. There was also a legitimate distillery at the foot of Whistler's Burn where Aldonaig now stands.
Glenmallon-2.jpg
Glenmallon School760 viewsPupils outside Glenmallon School on Loch Longside, circa 1940. Graham McGlone stands tall in the centre. Others are Herbert Gray, Alan Brough, Agnes Kirkwood, Norma Anton, Peter McKichan, Sheila Anton, Jessie Ronald, Joyce Russell, Maybeth Stevenson and Ernest ? One of the teachers is Miss Fergusson; the other possibly Miss Hattle. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Old_Colquhoun_Square10.jpg
Colquhoun Square in the early 1900s759 viewsThis picture shows one of two granite water fountains which stood in the square, and also the centenery monument in the centre of West Princes Street before it was moved to the north west quadrant for road safety reasons.
Rhu_FC_192512.jpg
Rhu Footballers of 1925759 viewsA Row FC team picture at Ardenconnel Park.
rockgarden~0.jpg
Remains of Malig Mill755 viewsAround 1922 the mill was demolished. Some remains were kept and a rock garden was created.
This image is watermarked.
Seafront_ponies2915.jpg
Seafront pony rides754 viewsRides on ponies and donkeys on Helensburgh seafront used to be very popular in summer. The image date is unknown, but the shops behind are a tobacconist, T.G.Allan Ltd., Leathar & Co., and D.H.Davidson Ltd.
Hermitage-stones-w.jpg
Hermitage carvings752 viewsCarvings from the frontage saved after the old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street was demolished. It was built in 1880 in late Gothic style for the School Board of Row on land formerly part of Hermitage House made available by the Cramb family, and demolished in 1977 by George Hood & Co. Ltd. This image compilation is from photos taken by Stewart Noble of the carvings, now in the garden of the home of Mr Hood's son Charlie.
Andy-Clyde-_-wife-w1.jpg
Mr and Mrs Andy Clyde750 viewsMovie star Andy Clyde, one of three members of Helensburgh's Clyde family who made their names as actors, is pictured at home with his wife, former Mack Sennett bathing beauty Elsie Maud Tarran, on April 6 1934. He was an artist of no mean ability and often sketched his wife. The couple married on September 23 1932 in Ontario, San Bernadino, California. A son, John Allan, was born in 1935 but tragically died in 1944.
1930s-sheepdog-trials5251.jpg
Sheepdog trials747 viewsA young lady with dogs at the Helensburgh and District Sheepdog Trials at Camis Eskan Farm, circa 1930. Photo by James Russell, Alexandria.
1652 files on 138 page(s) 12