Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Hospital-1.jpg
Helensburgh Infectious Diseases Hospital1167 viewsThis hospital was adjacent to the Victoria Infirmary, and was in operation from 1875 to 1956. It was demolished three years later.
West-End-United1.jpg
West End United 19651167 viewsHelensburgh's West End United football team which took part in the Gareloch League, which also included teams from the Faslane base, Arrochar, Garelochhead, Rosneath and Kilcreggan. The club was run by secretary Jimmy Shields for ten years, and after his death the team folded. In January 1965 picture by well known burgh photographer Bill Benzie are (back) Mr Shields, W.Ross, J.Moffat, A.Dennett (capt), T.Griffiths, J.Smith, J.Cameron, (front) K.Johansson, j.Healey, J.Mackay, J.Scullion, B.Johnston.
William-Kidston-w.jpg
William Kidston1167 viewsHelensburgh benefector William Kidston, who lived in the seafront Ferniegair, is seen in this photograph of a portrait presented to him on December 5 1877 “by the Inhabitants of Helensburgh and Neighbourhood, in testimony of his indefatigable efforts in promoting the prosperity and protecting the interests of the locality”. The story of the Kidston family can be found in the People section of the main website.
madeleine_family8.jpg
NOT Madeleine Smith and her family1166 viewsThis picture appears in several books and is claimed to be Madeleine Smith who was tried in 1857 for the murder of her lover, Pierre Emile L’Angelier, and her family. However experts have concluded that, while it is an image of a Victorian family, it is definitely not the Smith family.
Larchfield-sports-June-1935.jpg
Salute to champion1165 viewsFellow competitors at the annual Larchfield School Sports Day in June 1935 and a teacher salute the champion.
Rosneath_Castle_from_side.jpg
Rosneath Castle1163 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1903.
War_veterans2.jpg
World War veterans1162 viewsHelensburgh veterans of the First and Second World Wars pictured at a reunion at the burgh home of Colonel McConnell, DSO, TD (front row, centre), circa 1950. Seated in the front row, second from the left, is World War One Battle of the Somme survivor Archibald Robertson, whose granddaughter Joan Spencer supplied this image. Third from the right in the standing front row is James Taylor, who owned the Music Shop in James Street, and second from the right is Walter S.Bryden, son of Provost Sam Bryden and owner of Macneur & Bryden Ltd. and the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times.
Derflinger~0.jpg
End of a battleship1160 viewsThe German battleship Derflinger is seen arriving at the Faslane yard of Metal Industries Ltd. on board a floating dock in 1946. Launched on June 1 1913, the battleship was scuttled at Scapa Flow on June 21 1919 and lay in 45 metres of water until it raised to the surface in July 1939 — the last of the accessible big ships scuttled at Scapa Flow. After the Second World War she was brought to the Gareloch for shipbreaking.
1962-Hermitage-under-14.jpg
Hermitage under 14s1158 viewsThe Hermitage Academy under 14 'A' football team who won the West Dunbartonshire League in 1962, winning 15 out of 16 matches. Back: G.Don, A.Brabender, A.Quinlan, A.Stimson, K.Thompson, G.Gall, G.McKerrow; front: teacher Mr McKinnon, M.Mickie, A.Sharpe (capt), A.McGougan, S.Colquhoun, janitor and coach Angus McWilliams. Missing from the picture was C.McKell.
Camis_Eskan_1972-2.jpg
Camis Eskan House1156 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
West_seafront21614.jpg
West seafront1155 viewsLooking west from the pier, with some youngsters paddling. Date unknown.
clydestcart.jpg
East Clyde Street1154 viewsThe lamp standard on the left marks the entrance to the Queen's Hotel. Postmarked 1920.
1864 files on 156 page(s) 13