Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Busy_seafront1731.jpg
Busy Seafront786 viewsA packed west esplanade on a sunny day in the summer of 1967.
1960_Craigendoran_swim1621.jpg
1960 Craigendoran Swim784 viewsHelensburgh Swimming Club prepare to dive from Craigendoran pier to swim to Helensburgh pier in the annual event in August 1960. The first girl is club champion for many years Sheila Bell, next to her is Elspeth McLean, and fifth girl along is Sandy MacRitchie. The boy second from right rubbing his hands is Colin McCallum. Further details would be welcomed by the editor.
Invergare_(Rowalleyn)256.jpg
Invergare782 viewsInvergare, Rhu, originally named Rowaleyn, was built in 1855 to the design of architect James Smith, father of Madeleine Smith, the socialite later accused of murder, to be his family's summer home. James Smith designed, among other famous buildings, the Victoria Baths in West Nile Street (1837), the Collegiate School, Garnethill (1840), the McClellan Galleries (1855), and Bellahouston Church (1863), all in Glasgow, and Stirling Library (1863). Image circa 1912, published by M.Gordon, Row Pier.
municipalbuildings.jpg
Helensburgh Municipal Buildings782 viewsIncluded a police station with cells, and a theatre above. Still used as official buildings - even has a postbox in the same place in front of the building. Could it be the same postbox?
Ferniegair-from-east142.jpg
Ferniegair from the east777 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Hermitage_1948_hockey1.jpg
Hermitage School Hockey XI 1948777 viewsThe 1947-48 hockey team pictured in June 1948. Back row: Miss Usherwood, Betty Petrie, Pat Spy, Sheena Laverock, Margaret Curtis, Jenny Burgess. Front: Lyn Blades, Daphne Ferris, Norma Watt, June James, Isobel Campbell, Cathie Sharp. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
HLTC_Centenary2.jpg
100 years of tennis777 viewsHelensburgh Lawn Tennis Club celebrated its centenary with a week of special events in June 1984. President Duncan Robson is seen with other centenary committee members. Front: Claire Harper, Duncan Robson, Gay Black, Bud MacBeth, Muriel Borland. Second row: Will Steuart-Corry, Nick White, Donald Fullarton, Jill Fulton, Harry Gould.
Craigendoran-low-level8.jpg
Craigendoran Station776 viewsCraigendoran Station in its heyday, with a steam train approaching from Helensburgh. The station and steamer terminal opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone. Date unknown
St_Bride_s_School085.jpg
St Bride's School776 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1934.
Camis_Eskan_House_1972-1.jpg
Camis Eskan House775 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
Helensburgh_from_above2822.jpg
Helensburgh from above773 viewsA view of Helensburgh from above the Highlandman's Road, as a steamer makes it way to Craigendoran Pier. Image date unknown.
Hermitage_Academy_Class_2A_1967-68.jpg
Hermitage Academy Class 2A 1967-8773 viewsBack row: Norman McIvor, Geoffrey Thompson, George Beggs, Andrew McNeill, Stanley Sowinsky, Jamie Hulme, Scott Paige, Robert Prescott, George Cusker, Richard Makeham, Alan Oldfield; middle: David Harris, Stephen Richards, Ian Doig, Sharon Temple, Sheena Smith, Elizabeth Truscott, Noelle Odling, Lynne Price, Laura Johnstone, Duncan Campbell, Robbie McLean, John Burnhill; front: Sandra Werry, Fiona Bryce, Susan Cogger, Heather Mennie, Marion Hancox, Susan Taylor, Mary Ross, Rosalind Mulligan, Anne Munn, Lorna Will, Alison McLuskie. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
1696 files on 142 page(s) 15