Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
St-Joseph_s-w.jpg
St Joseph's Church134 viewsThere was no Roman Catholic Church in Helensburgh until 1880 when a chapel with school was built in Grant Street where the present church halls are. The present church itself at the corner of Lomond Street and East King Street was opened in 1912. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Bethesda-w.jpg
Helensburgh Bethesda131 viewsThe Bethesda Evangelical Church sprang from the same origins as the Baptist Church, and its persuasion is that of the Open Christian Brethren. In 1931 Bethesda Hall at 30 Colquhoun Street was bought, and it remains in service.Photo by Professor John Hume.
St-Mahew_s-w.jpg
St Mahew's130 viewsThe origins of this chapel are lost in the mists of time but gravestones there have been dated to the 9th or 10th century. The earliest surviving documents which speak of a chapel at Kilmahew come from the reign of King David II (1329-70). Following the Reformation in 1560 the chapel became derelict, but from 1640 until 1846 part of it was used as the village school. In 1948 it was acquired, as part of the Kilmahew Estate, by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow. Five years later work on restoration started and it began to serve again as a chapel in 1955. Today it is believed to be perhaps the oldest place of worship in the west of Scotland still being used for its original purpose. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Garelochhead-w.jpg
Garelochhead Church128 viewsThere was no church in Garelochhead before the present building was constructed in 1837, making it one of the oldest in the area. A hall was added in 1894. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Whole-Wonder-Wall-w.jpg
Whole Wonder Wall125 viewsA tribute to John Logie Baird on the wall of the University of Strathclyde Graham Hills Building in George Street, Glasgow — one of a number of massive official murals. Appropriately, on the right is Dr Who's Tardis. Image supplied by Des Gorra.
Luss-w.jpg
Luss Church123 viewsIt is believed that St Kessog (or MacKessog) founded a church in Luss in the year 510, and it was in the name of Kessog that King Robert the Bruce went into battle against the English at Bannockburn in 1314. However the present building was opened in 1875 to commemorate the deaths of Sir James Colquhoun and a group of his gamekeepers in a boating accident in Loch Lomond two years earlier — indeed from inside the roof looks like an upturned boat. Some of the graves in the churchyard go back to the 7th or 8th century, and there is also a Viking hogback stone. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg
Uncle Hector's car115 viewsAn image of an old car, possibly a Sunbeam or Argyll tourer, which has a note on the back: "Uncle Hector driving a car at Helensburgh." The single G registration plate is Glasgow from 1903-21. More information would be welcomed. Image supplied by Donald John Chisholm.
Peaton-w.jpg
Peaton Church112 viewsThis small corrugated iron church was affectionately known as "The Tin Hut Church". It is not known when this church opened, but it was certainly in existence before 1893. It was generally only used for a short time in summer, principally to cater for visitors to the area. It stood by the shore road between Cove and Coulport and was used until 2002, being finally demolished eleven years later. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Park-Church-w.jpg
Park Church111 viewsOriginally built for the Free Church at the corner of Charlotte Street and East King Street, this building opened in 1863. By about 2010 it faced the problems of attracting a new minister and maintaining its building, both in the face of a dwindling congregation. Consequently it closed its doors to worship in 2015, but the following year the building became the Buddhist Meditation Centre of Scotland. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Arrochar-Church-w.jpg
Arrochar Church106 viewsThe present Arrochar Parish Church was built in 1847, but it had fallen into such a bad state of repair that in 1998 it was declared to be too dangerous to enter. However the community worked tirelessly to change this situation, with the result that it was reopened for worship in the following year. The parish of Arrochar was established in 1659, but no church was built until 1773 and the ruins of this earlier church stand alongside the present church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Craigrownie-w.jpg
Craigrownie Church104 viewsUntil the 19th century the only church on the Rosneath Peninsula was in Rosneath itself. However with the coming of steamships the population of Cove and Kilcreggan expanded rapidly, and this was what brought about the construction of Craigrownie Church in Cove in 1852. By the 1880s the church was proving too small and in 1889 it was extended by the architects Honeyman and Keppie. Today it is home to the only Church of Scotland congregation in Cove and Kilcreggan, being linked with Rosneath and Garelochhead, and it was refurbished in 2017. Photo by Professor John Hume.
St-peter_s-cardross-2009-1.jpg
2009 St Peter's104 viewsThe exterior of the derelict St Peter's Seminary at Cardross — now the centre of a restoration project — pictured in 2009 by Stewart Noble.
1919 files on 160 page(s) 159