Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
whistlefield_station.jpg
Whistlefield Station1028 viewsA photograph of the North British Railway station at Whistlefield, probably from the late 1920’s or early 1930’s. Note the advertisement for Tennents.
1953-tree-planting.jpg
Coronation Tree Planting1026 viewsTo mark the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953, flowering cherry trees were planted by Helensburgh schools. This is the planting party from Larchfield School at the south-eastern corner of Stafford Street and James Street. From left are Stuart Sandeman, Stewart Noble (now Heritage Trust chairman, Alex Kennedy, William Marshall and a Parks Department employee. Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
Hermitage-chess4183.jpg
Chess at Hermitage1023 viewsPlay in progress at a chess match between Hermitage School and Dumbarton's Keil School in March 1969.
Bannachra_Castle.jpg
Bannachra Castle1022 viewsThe ruins of Bannachra Castle on the Luss road from Helensburgh, between Cross Keys and Arden. The Castle is in roughly the shape of a parallelogram, 46 feet long and 24 feet wide, and is three storeys high with a barrel vaulted basement, a main or hall floor and an attic floor. It is currently owned by Hamish Lumsden, whose family has owned the lands on which the castle is since the 19th century. Reputed to be on the site of a former construction, it was probably built in the 16th century. Image circa 1940.
queenshotel.jpg
The Queen's Hotel1022 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
1948-busy-seafront.jpg
Busy seafront1017 viewsThe bunting is up and the crowds are out on West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, on a sunny summer day. Image circa 1948.
Camis_Eskan_garden-13.jpg
Camis Eskan Market Garden1017 viewsThe market garden area at Camis Eskan House during World War Two. Photo by kind permission of Sheila Penny.
Camis_Eskan_garden-2.jpg
Camis Eskan Market Garden1017 viewsPart of the gardens at Camis Eskan during World War Two. Photo by kind permission of Sheila Penny.
Craigendoran-pier-crowd.jpg
Craigendoran Pier1017 viewsAll aboard at Craigendoran Pier — passengers from the boat train board the steamer Marmion for a trip 'doon the watter', circa 1930. In the background is the now demolished Craigendoran signal box. Image supplied by Campbell Neil.
municipalbuildings.jpg
Helensburgh Municipal Buildings1016 viewsIncluded a police station with cells, and a theatre above. Still used as official buildings - even has a postbox in the same place in front of the building. Could it be the same postbox?
Sailing_Club_dance_1972.jpg
Helensburgh Sailing Club 19721015 viewsMembers of Helensburgh Sailing Club at their annual dance in the Queen's Hotel in February 1972.
Larchfield-1st-XV-1968.jpg
Larchfield 1st XV 1967-81013 viewsThis Larchfield School 1st XV played 15 matches, winning and losing seven and drawing one. Front: David Ferguson, Nigel Barge, Jeremy Russell, Keith Jamieson; middle: Hugh Walker, Michael Hunter, Stewart Piggott (capt), Kenneth Read, Barry Hunter; back: Alan McKenzie, Hamish Berrie, Tom Stewart, David Taylor, Donald Ferguson, Andrew MacFarlane, Stephen Burnhill. Larchfield is now part of Lomond School.
1849 files on 155 page(s) 18