Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Swim_Club_prizegiving0983.jpg
Prize Swimmers607 viewsA Helensburgh Swimming Club prizegiving in the Pillar Hall in the 1950s. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
West_Helensburgh1.jpg
West Helensburgh607 viewsThe west side of Sinclair Street from just below West Argyle Street, taken from the St Columba Church tower. Circa 1912.
New_Year_Swim_group0992.jpg
1914 New Year Swim606 viewsFive swimmers dry off on the pier after the Helensburgh New Year Swim. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
Dalriada_lounge.jpg
Crimea lounge605 viewsThe lounge of Crimea at Portincaple, full of paintings by eminent artist James Kay RSA RSW who lived there for 33 years and worked in a studio in Glasgow. It belonged to his brother Alec, a shipping office manager. The name was chosen when they moved there in 1909 because his father was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, serving in the Black Sea area. James painted an elaborate mural of scenes from the Crimean on the walls of the main entrance. Image date unknown.
Sinclair_Street_south2833.jpg
Sinclair Street looking south605 viewsLooking down Sinclair Street from Princes Street, circa 1955.
Camis_Eskan_garden-3.jpg
Camis Eskan Greenhouse604 viewsThe greenhouse in the gardens of Camis Eskan during the Second World War. Photo by kind permission of Sheila Penny.
Esplanade1583.jpg
Helensburgh Esplanade604 viewsA family group on the west esplanade. Date unknown.
Kidston_Bandstand3142.jpg
Kidston Park Bandstand604 viewsThe now demolished bandstand at Kidston Park, circa 1903. Bought from the Duke of Argyll in 1877 for £650 by William Kidston with help from Sir James Colquhoun and others, it was formerly Cairndhu Point — known locally as Neddy's Point after a well known fisherman and ferryman who lived nearby — but was renamed Kidston Park from 1889 when Mr Kidston left money to support its maintenance and requested the name change. The bandstand was used by the boys bands from the Training Ships Cumberland and Empress.
Cardross-derailment1.jpg
Cardross derailment603 viewsThe goods train known locally as the ‘Ghost Train’ was derailed on October 18 1966 between the Ardmore East signal box and Cardross Station. It was on its way to Fort William.
Craigendoran-low-level8.jpg
Craigendoran Station603 viewsCraigendoran Station in its heyday, with a steam train approaching from Helensburgh. The station and steamer terminal opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone. Date unknown
Craigendoran-pier-crowd.jpg
Craigendoran Pier603 viewsAll aboard at Craigendoran Pier — passengers from the boat train board the steamer Marmion for a trip 'doon the watter', circa 1930. In the background is the now demolished Craigendoran signal box. Image supplied by Campbell Neil.
Jeanie_Deans-31862.jpg
PS Jeanie Deans603 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans in Loch Long. Built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, she was extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967.
1580 files on 132 page(s) 19