Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
TS-Empress-band-w.jpg
TS Empress1069 viewsOne of the bands which were a feature of life on the Training Ship Empress, moored in the Gareloch. They frequently played at the Kidston Park bandstand, and were in demand to play at other events. Empress was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image date unknown.
Dominoes_1930s_3.jpg
No Chaps!1066 viewsFive lady swimmers play dominoes in Helensburgh Outdoor Pool in the 1930s.
Lady_tennis_players1336.jpg
Lady tennis players1065 viewsA group of local players at the Craighelen club, including member and Scottish internationalist Heather MacFarlane. On the left is Mary Steuart-Corry of the Helensburgh club. Date unknown.
1962-Beauty-contest.jpg
Beauty Contest1063 viewsEntrants for the 1962 Helensburgh Beauty Contest parade at the outdoor pool on a wet and cold September day.
Helensburgh-1st-XI3925~0.jpg
Helensburgh 1st XI1062 viewsThe Helensburgh Cricket Club 1st XI pictured by well known burgh photographer Bill Benzie beside the old pavilion at Ardencaple, which was later burnt down. Two stalwarts of the team for many years are in the front row, Willie Gilchrist (left) and his brother Ian (second from right). Back second from left is Harry Simpson. Image date unknown.
Maclachlans5.jpg
L.MacLachlan & Son Tea Room1062 viewsEstablished in 1798, this firm of family bakers and confectioners had premises at 23 West Clyde Street, Quay Head, Helensburgh (above), and also at Roslyn Place, Garelochhead. They also catered for picnic parties. Image circa 1910.
Redtowers-interior-2-w.jpg
Redtower1062 viewsAn early image of the dining room of Redtower, 4 Douglas Drive West, Helensburgh, a red sandstone chateau-like mansion built in 1898 by distinguished local architect William Leiper for grocer James Allan. At the end of the 20th century it was bought by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Glasgow and used as a drug rehabilitation centre, but it has since reverted to private use and the name has been changed to Redtowers. Image supplied by Dr Nigel Allan.
McCulloch_diamond_wed5.jpg
Diamond Wedding 19021061 viewsA family group at the diamond wedding party of Helensburgh man J.W.McCulloch, who set up the family painting and decorating business in Helensburgh in 1846 after losing his money in the Gold Rush, and his wife. Venue unknown. Image supplied by his great grandson, Iain McCulloch.
Sam_Bryden13.jpg
Provost Sam Bryden1061 viewsProvost Sam Bryden, as well as owning Macneur & Bryden's newsagent and gift shop in East Princes Street, Helensburgh, was also the man responsible for the erection of the centenary monument in Colquhoun Square.
Trains_at_Ardlui2484.jpg
Trains at Ardui1056 viewsTwo steam trains on the West Highland Line at Ardlui Station, Loch Lomond, on August 13 1959. The engine which can be seen pulling a Glasgow train, no.61342, is a 71-ton Class B1 locomotive. Designed by Thompson, the class was introduced in 1942, and 409 were built.
New_Year_swim6.jpg
New Year Swim 19141055 viewsHelensburgh swimmers in the water off the pier on January 1 1914. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
Woolworth-Drayton-2.jpg
Wonder of Woolies-21055 viewsLocal historian Pat Drayton is seen with members of staff inside the Woolworths store in West Clyde Street, Helensburgh, in October 1997. She won a competition to perform the official opening of a new look store after extensive refurbishment and was treated to a champagne breakfast before the opening. The store was open for many years until it closed in January 2009 when the chain went into administration.
1914 files on 160 page(s) 22