Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Ardenconnel_house.jpg
Ardenconnel House1778 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Date unknown.
Image1-118.jpg
Rosneath Castle1778 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image date unknown.
Hartfield_House1711.jpg
Hartfield House1777 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Rosneath_School19412.jpg
Rosneath School1773 viewsRosneath School at the Clachan, when the uniform was rather different from today. Image date unknown.
Hermitage-5-06_085.jpg
Academy opening1772 viewsProvost William Petrie OBE JP DL of Argyll and Bute Council, a former pupil who met his wife Jean at the original Hermitage School, officially opens the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008, watched by headmaster Geoff Urie.
Coronation1953.jpg
Coronation tree planting1760 viewsAlex Douglas, headmaster of Clyde Street School, teacher Miss Laing, and some of their pupils plant a tree outside 27 East Montrose Street, Helensburgh, to mark the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth on June 2 1953. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, now of Ontario, Canada, who is the boy holding the shovel, and taken by Alexandria press photographer Peter Leddy.
Kilmahew,_Cardross.jpg
Kilmahew, Cardross1747 viewsKilmahew House at Cardross, built in 1868 to designs by John Burnet. In 1948 the property was acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. The mansion was demolished in 1995 after it had been gutted in a fire started by vandals. Image circa 1932.
Cairndhu,-Ferniegair~0.jpg
Cairndhu and Ferniegair1745 viewsTwo of Helensburgh's biggest mansions, Cairndhu and, on the right, Fergiegair — home of the Kidston family and demolished in the 1960s. Cairndhu was built in 1871 by architect William Leiper for John Ure, then Provost of Glasgow, and Ferniegair was built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman. Behind is Ardencaple Quadrant, built originally to house those who had been injured in the First World War. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan, circa 1945.
1901-pierhead~3.jpg
View from pier 19011744 viewsThis view from the pierhead looking up Colquhoun Street was taken in 1901, but it is not known why a large crowd had gathered and what they were looking at. The shops are Robert Brown's wines and spirits and Lachlan McLachlan's very popular bakery. In 1929 the building which housed the two shops was demolished to allow the National Bank of Scotland to be built, and Lachlan McLachlan moved his business to Garelochhead where he worked until his death in 1951. Image supplied by Pat Drayton.
Empress.jpg
Training Ship Empress1743 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
Clarendon0782.jpg
Clarendon1738 viewsA very old photograph of Clarendon in James Street, now the junior department of Lomond School. Date unknown.
Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg
Glen Fruin School circa 19101735 viewsThis one teacher school was built in 1840, and the building still stands today as a private house near the Black Bridge. The photograph was taken by Helensburgh grocery manager and keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, and several members of the Thorburn family were pupils.
1913 files on 160 page(s) 5