Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Glenoran-House-mono.jpg
Glenoran House1674 viewsGlenoran House in Rhu, up the hill above the Ardencaple Hotel. It is thought to have been designed and built in 1869 by John Honeyman for Charles Kidston, a member of the well known Kidston family, and was demolished a century later to make way for a housing development — which has never happened. Image supplied by Trish Fleming.
Queens_Hotel0184.jpg
The Queen's Hotel1673 viewsOriginally the Baths Hotel and home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, the Queen's Hotel was built by Bell in 1806. It was converted into flats in the mid-1980s. In front of the front door is the Volvo estate car used for many years by the last manager, Norman Drummond. Image date unknown.
DSCI0006.jpg
Malig Mill inscription with dates1672 viewsThese have been placed on one wall. According to one written source the original mill was rebuilt. The dates may or may not support this.
Hermitage_School_fruit.jpg
Gift of fruit1670 viewsPupils and teachers at Hermitage Park gather to receive a gift of apples from the British Columbia Fruit Growers in Canada in 1951. Miss Lennie presided over the distribution to the children. Image supplied by Cecilia Dunlop.
Hermitage-9-06_087.jpg
Academy opening1668 viewsAmerican guest Dr John Jackson speaks at the opening of the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008. He said a few words of greeting on behalf of the school's international links.
Piers_Swim0754.jpg
Piers Swim1666 viewsSome of the Helensburgh Swimming Club members who took part in the annual Craigendoran pier to Helensburgh pier swim in August 1963. From left: Ken Mercer, Rod MacPhail, Elizabeth Soutar, Sandy MacRitchie, Colin McCallum. It was the first time Rod entered, and his time of 47 minutes on a calm night was the fastest he ever achieved. Ken Mercer, whose mother Edith taught hundreds of local children to swim, won it for the umpteenth time in 25-28 minutes.
knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove1661 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1913, possibly taken from the roof of Bellcairn House, looking south.
Old_burgh_class.jpg
1920s burgh class1661 viewsA 1920s Helensburgh school class photographed by W.D.Brown & Co. of West Bay Studio, Helensburgh. Any information about the people in the picture would be welcomed.
Young_swimmers09310.jpg
Top Junior Swimmers1657 viewsFive trophy winners at the Helensburgh Swimming Club prizegiving in the Red Cross Hall, East Princes Street, in October 1968. From left: Jacqueline Craig, Cynthia Mackie, Charlie Cook, Irene McGhie, and in front is Margaret Shields younger sister who collected her award for her.
1943-Hermitage-pupils.jpg
1943 Hermitage School class1651 viewsMembers of a class of 13 year-olds at Hermitage School in East Argyle Street pictured during the Second World War, including some evacuees from Clydebank. Back: Jim Arrol, John Osborne, unknown, unknown, Robert Dunlop, unknown; middle: unknown, Bobby Phillips, Ian Gilchrist, unknown, Jack Orr Winton, Roy McKenzie; front: unknown, Henry Brown, unknown. Image supplied by Bobby Phillips.
earlybaths.jpg
The Swimming Pool1648 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor pool. Undated, possible the 1960s.
Empress3.jpg
TS Empress1647 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. In this picture some can be seen aloft. Image circa 1910.
1914 files on 160 page(s) 7