Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
St_Bride_s_School~0.jpg
St Bride's School910 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1912.
Cardross-Primary-School2.jpg
Cardross Primary School908 viewsThe current Cardross village primary school is pictured. Image date not known.
Australian-flag1.jpg
Flag gifted Down Under906 viewsMargaret Badham, Assistant Principal at Helensburgh Public School in New South Wales, Australia, supplied this old picture, taken when a red Union Jack was presented to her school by the pupils of our Hermitage School in 1911. The flag is kept in a frame in the school in Australia, and the photo from the school archive shows the raising of the flag for the first time.
West_seafront21614.jpg
West seafront897 viewsLooking west from the pier, with some youngsters paddling. Date unknown.
Hermitage_School_fruit.jpg
Gift of fruit895 viewsPupils and teachers at Hermitage Park gather to receive a gift of apples from the British Columbia Fruit Growers in Canada in 1951. Miss Lennie presided over the distribution to the children. Image supplied by Cecilia Dunlop.
Rhu_Amateurs196721.jpg
Scotland's Champions893 viewsThe famous Rhu Amateurs team which won the Scottish Amateur Cup on May 13 1967, beating Penilee United 3-1 in the final at Hampden Park, Glasgow. The scorers were Barry Irvine, then Neil Walsh with two. Team: Finlay MacDonald; Alistair Glendye, Arthur Thomson; Paul Robertson, Finlay Colquhoun (capt), Neil Walsh; Barry Irvine, Jim Shields, Joe McKell, Billy Mooney, Johnny Armstrong. 12th man: Jim Aitken.
Old_swimming_pool0898.jpg
Outdoor Pond892 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor swimming pool with buses parked outside and West Clyde Street beyond. Date unknown.
Ardencaple_Castle1241.jpg
Ardencaple Castle889 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAuley. Image date unknown.
donkeys.jpg
Donkey Rides889 viewsUndated, but possibly the 1960s. Can anyone provide a date?
This image is watermarked.
Larchfield_School_about_1957-2.jpg
Larchfield class882 viewsA class at Helensburgh's Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street circa 1957. The teacher is Mrs Mary Arthur. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of St Michael and All Angels Church from 1951-9.
Rosneath-Castle-and-bay.jpg
Rosneath Castle and Camsail Bay876 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London architect Joseph Bonomi, the neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Roseneath (as it was spelt then); date unknown.
TS_Empress261.jpg
TS Empress875 viewsThe training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1902.
1658 files on 139 page(s) 8