Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Seafront storm593 viewsLooking east towards the pier on a stormy day, circa 1907.
Ben Lomond592 viewsThis study looking south east across Loch Lomond towards Ben Lomond is by Allan M.Fraser, a prolific and talented Helensburgh artist who died in 1985 aged 75. He attended Hermitage School, where he later taught art, and studied at Glasgow School of Art. He taught in several Dunbartonshire schools, eventually becoming head of the art department at Dumbarton Academy. He was also a founder member of Helensburgh and District Art Club. Image, date unknown, supplied by Mark Welsh, Saltash, Cornwall.
Gaby Fay and Jean Clyde592 viewsHelensburgh stage star Jean Clyde (right) pictured with her sister-in-law, Birmingham-born character actress Dorothy Fay Hammerton, was the wife of Jean's actor and director brother David. In 1936, two years after the couple moved to Hollywood, she made her screen debut billed as Gaby Fay. She changed her stage name to Fay Holden, and for the next two decades played supporting roles in numerous films, frequently cast as a warm, devoted mother. She retired in 1958.
Arrochar Hotel591 viewsArrochar Hotel, circa 1948. Originally a coaching inn and called The Arrochar Inn, it was also the Torrance Hotel for a time.
Gairloch Head591 viewsA print of Garelochhead probably from a book written by John M.Leighton around 1840, entitled "Strath Clutha or Beauties of the Clyde". The name J.Fleming is in the bottom left corner and the name Joseph Swan in the bottom right corner. John Fleming was a Greenock artist who lived from 1792-1845. Joseph Swan was a Glasgow engraver and, it would appear, something of an entrepreneur. Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
Helensburgh 1830591 viewsThis antique steel plate engraving on fine paper measures 6 x 9 inches and shows children playing on the burgh shore to the east of the Baths (later Queen's) Hotel. It was drawn by John Fleming, engraved by Joseph Swan and published by Joseph Swan in 1830 for ‘Select Views on the River Clyde’ by John M.Leighton.
Seafront looking east591 viewsThis view eastwards from the pier shows a busy beach, the bandstand, shows, the Granary and the Old Parish Church, with the Queen's Hotel in the distance. Image date unknown.
Royal Visit to Base591 viewsThe late Queen Mother talks to naval wives and children during a visit to the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane in May 1968.
Gareloch ships591 viewsA view of the Gareloch, looking towards Shandon Hydro and the head of the loch, with three merchant ships laid up. Image date unknown.
Packed pier590 viewsHelensburgh pier, outdoor pool and seafront are packed on a sunny summer day in 1935.
Rhu Boys Brigade590 viewsMembers of the Rhu company of the Boys Brigade are pictured at camp. The company existed from 1915 to 1925 when it folded because leaders could not be found. It was inspected at least twice by Lord Inverclyde, the then Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan, whose great uncle, Arthur Burnett Winton, is second from the left. Arthur's father ran Rhu Post Office, and he was a telegram boy. He spent most of his working life at Helensburgh Post Office and Helensburgh Telephone Exchange, and in his 20s played football for Rhu Amateurs.
Sunday School outing590 viewsSome of the young people who attended the St Michael and All Angels Church, Helensburgh, Sunday School outing in 1929. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
1912 files on 160 page(s) 96