Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Most viewed
Station-Goods-yard-w.jpg
Station goods yard484 viewsA view of Helensburgh Central Station, the engine shed and goods yard. Image circa 1950, copyright A.Scarsbrook/Initial Photographics.
Tamnavoulin.jpg
Tamnavoulin484 viewsAn old view looking east at the back of Tamnavoulin Cottage in Glen Fruin, published by Sam's of Helensburgh. Image date unknown.
Early_Rhu.jpg
Rhu village483 viewsAn early image of the village of Rhu, at that time Row. It shows the school where the village green now is, and the villa Ardenvohr, built in 1857 to the design of local architect Thomas Gildard and at various times the home of the Muir and Hoggans families. It became the Royal Northern Yacht Club clubhouse in 1937, and in 1978 the club's name changed to the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club. Image date unknown.
Old_burgh_print3152.jpg
Helensburgh 1830483 viewsThis antique steel plate engraving on fine paper measures 6 x 9 inches and shows children playing on the burgh shore to the east of the Baths (later Queen's) Hotel. It was drawn by John Fleming, engraved by Joseph Swan and published by Joseph Swan in 1830 for ‘Select Views on the River Clyde’ by John M.Leighton.
Rhu-from-behind3889.jpg
Rhu from behind483 viewsAn unusual view of Rhu village from the hill behind. Image circa 1926.
Steamer-print018.jpg
Steamer off Helensburgh483 viewsAn antique view of Helensburgh taken from a publication dated between 1889 and 1895. The actual size of the print is 120mm x 75mm. Artist unknown.
Bob_Hope_Rosneath-2.jpg
Bob Hope at Rosneath482 viewsHugely popular American entertainer Bob Hope visited United States Navy Base Two at Rosneath with a concert party in 1945, including Frances Langford and Jerry Colona. This picture was taken at a post-show party at the Princess Louise Officers Club, the Ferry Inn. Image supplied by Dennis Royal, author of the book 'United States Navy Base Two — Americans at Rosneath 1941-45'.
Garelochhead_from_west.jpg
Garelochhead from west482 viewsLooking down to Garelochhead village from the hillside on the west side of the Gareloch. Image date unknown.
Loch_Lomond_frozen.jpg
Loch Lomond frozen482 viewsIn the extreme winter of 1895 Loch Lomond froze over, and thousands of people came to skate or walk over the loch. This image from C.R.Gilchrist, Photo Publishers, Alexandria, dates from that time.
Gareloch_by_Flint.jpg
The Gareloch, by Flint481 viewsThe Gareloch from Shandon, painted in 1918 by Sir William Russell Flint. Born in Edinburgh in 1880, Flint’s remarkable talent was discovered at an early age. He studied at the Royal Institution School of Art in Edinburgh and after serving an apprenticeship at a printing works, he moved to London aged 20 to become a medical illustrator. In 1903 he joined the Illustrated London News, then served in World War One and became Admiralty Assistant Overseer - Airships. After the war his artistic career flourished.
Princess-Diana.jpg
Princess Diana481 viewsDiana, Princess of Wales, looks through the periscope of the Faslane submarine HMS Trafalgar, after being hoisted on board in the Firth of Clyde in October 1986. Looking on is Commander Toby Elliot. Photo purchased by Heritage Trust from Navy News.
Rosneath-House.jpg
Rosneath House481 viewsA print of Rosneath Castle probably from a book written by John M.Leighton around 1840, entitled "Strath Clutha or Beauties of the Clyde". The name J.Fleming is in the bottom left corner and the name Joseph Swan in the bottom right corner. John Fleming was a Greenock artist who lived from 1792-1845. Joseph Swan was a Glasgow engraver and, it would appear, something of an entrepreneur. Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
1841 files on 154 page(s) 98