Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Helensburgh-1st-XV4013.jpg
Helensburgh Rugby Club1276 viewsOne of the earliest Helensburgh Rugby Club team photos, taken in October 1969. Standing (from left): Julian Rey, Douglas Grewcock, Howard Morrison, Douglas Dow, Paul Johnston, unknown, Bob Stretch; front: Alan Howat, Dave Muir, Guy Grant, the Rev Russell Davidson, Graeme Heron, Brian Johnstone, Paddy Burns, Fergus Howat.
Glenmallon-1.jpg
Glenmallon School1269 viewsPupils of Glenmallon School on Loch Longside travelled to Helensburgh for this 1940 class photograph. Back row: Agnes ?, Alison Craig, Ernest ?, Rita Beattie, Rosemary Cameron, Rae Bolton (kilt); middle row: Sheila Anton, Peter McKichen, Betty Bowie, Miss Ferguson, Elspeth ? On ground: Jean Stone and Jimmy Beattie. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Ferniegair.jpg
Ferniegair1261 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Larchfield-1-w.jpg
Larchfield School 19581252 viewsThe first part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
1970-Aerial-view-22.jpg
View from above1242 viewsAn aerial view of central Helensburgh, circa 1970.
Esplanade_19704.jpg
Pony Rides1242 viewsFun on Helensburgh beach at the pierhead in 1970.
Knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle1241 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Photo taken in 1946.
Ardencaple-Castle-demoli3912.jpg
Castle demolition1238 viewsThe main tower of Ardencaple Castle is seen just before its demolition in July 1959. The square tower on the left was retained and is still standing.
Ardencaple_Castle_derelict1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle derelict1228 viewsThe last private resident, Mrs H.MacAulay-Stromberg, bought the castle from Sir Iain Colquhoun in 1923 and at last the castle returned to MacAulay ownership. Under her care the castle and grounds were brought back into good order. She died in 1931, and it faced a long period of neglect. During the Second World War it was used by the Admiralty as Naval Married Quarters, and it was demolished in 1957 to make room for a naval housing estate. Image by courtesy of the Clan MacAulay Association, date unknown.
Hermitage-1st-XV-1961-2.jpg
Hermitage School 1st XV1221 viewsThe 1961-2 Hermitage School rugby team, led by captain Campbell Smith (front row centre).
1947-Hermitage-Xmas5421.jpg
1947 Hermitage Christmas Dance1210 viewsSenior pupils of Hermitage School at their Christmas Dance in 1947. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
St_Bride_s_School085.jpg
St Bride's School1210 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1934.
1849 files on 155 page(s) 11