Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Whistlers_Glen06610.jpg
Whistler's Glen743 viewsIllegal distilling was a feature in the Gareloch area until about 1830, and Whistler's Glen above Rhu was so named from the practice of signalling the approach of the Gauger or Exciseman. There was also a legitimate distillery at the foot of Whistler's Burn where Aldonaig now stands.
pool_1930s18.jpg
Taking the plunge740 viewsFour young swimmers jump into the Helensburgh outdoor pool in the 1930s.
clydestcart.jpg
East Clyde Street739 viewsThe lamp standard on the left marks the entrance to the Queen's Hotel. Postmarked 1920.
rockgarden~0.jpg
Remains of Malig Mill739 viewsAround 1922 the mill was demolished. Some remains were kept and a rock garden was created.
This image is watermarked.
Old_Colquhoun_Square10.jpg
Colquhoun Square in the early 1900s734 viewsThis picture shows one of two granite water fountains which stood in the square, and also the centenery monument in the centre of West Princes Street before it was moved to the north west quadrant for road safety reasons.
Glenmallon-2.jpg
Glenmallon School732 viewsPupils outside Glenmallon School on Loch Longside, circa 1940. Graham McGlone stands tall in the centre. Others are Herbert Gray, Alan Brough, Agnes Kirkwood, Norma Anton, Peter McKichan, Sheila Anton, Jessie Ronald, Joyce Russell, Maybeth Stevenson and Ernest ? One of the teachers is Miss Fergusson; the other possibly Miss Hattle. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Seafront_ponies2915.jpg
Seafront pony rides731 viewsRides on ponies and donkeys on Helensburgh seafront used to be very popular in summer. The image date is unknown, but the shops behind are a tobacconist, T.G.Allan Ltd., Leathar & Co., and D.H.Davidson Ltd.
1970-Aerial-view-11.jpg
Town centre aerial view728 viewsThis picture of the central part of Helensburgh is circa 1970.
Andy-Clyde-_-wife-w1.jpg
Mr and Mrs Andy Clyde728 viewsMovie star Andy Clyde, one of three members of Helensburgh's Clyde family who made their names as actors, is pictured at home with his wife, former Mack Sennett bathing beauty Elsie Maud Tarran, on April 6 1934. He was an artist of no mean ability and often sketched his wife. The couple married on September 23 1932 in Ontario, San Bernadino, California. A son, John Allan, was born in 1935 but tragically died in 1944.
1930s-sheepdog-trials5251.jpg
Sheepdog trials727 viewsA young lady with dogs at the Helensburgh and District Sheepdog Trials at Camis Eskan Farm, circa 1930. Photo by James Russell, Alexandria.
Hermitage-stones-w.jpg
Hermitage carvings723 viewsCarvings from the frontage saved after the old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street was demolished. It was built in 1880 in late Gothic style for the School Board of Row on land formerly part of Hermitage House made available by the Cramb family, and demolished in 1977 by George Hood & Co. Ltd. This image compilation is from photos taken by Stewart Noble of the carvings, now in the garden of the home of Mr Hood's son Charlie.
Esplanade1514.jpg
Helensburgh Esplanade722 viewsAll ages enjoy the seafront. Date unknown.
1645 files on 138 page(s) 12