Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Clyde Street School1039 viewsA Clyde Street Primary School class, circa 1962. Back row: ?, Royston Pearce, George Beggs, Peter Elliot, John Spy, ?, ?,
Edward McKell, Ronald Park, Billy McKechnie, ?, Harry Stenhouse; middle: Elizabeth Stewart, ?, Lesley Coll, Roderick McKenzie, William Bell, Kenneth Glendye, Neil Harper, ?, Duncan Campbell, Jim Urquhart, Simon Fraser, Colin Reid, Caroline ?; front: Janet Shields, Kathleen Hamilton, Terry ?, Fiona Grant, Helen McWilliams, Hazel Towler, Mary Ross, Susan Taylor, Anne-Marie ?, Elspeth Robertson, Catherine ?. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
Seafront Putting Green1028 viewsThe card is postmarked 1957.
Helensburgh Infectious Diseases Hospital1026 viewsThis hospital was adjacent to the Victoria Infirmary, and was in operation from 1875 to 1956. It was demolished three years later.
Rosneath Castle1025 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1903.
Swimmers Party1017 viewsA Helensburgh Swimming Club Party in the Pillar Hall in the 1950s. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
Hermitage under 14s1015 viewsThe Hermitage Academy under 14 'A' football team who won the West Dunbartonshire League in 1962, winning 15 out of 16 matches. Back: G.Don, A.Brabender, A.Quinlan, A.Stimson, K.Thompson, G.Gall, G.McKerrow; front: teacher Mr McKinnon, M.Mickie, A.Sharpe (capt), A.McGougan, S.Colquhoun, janitor and coach Angus McWilliams. Missing from the picture was C.McKell.
Ardenvohr1015 viewsThe villa Ardenvohr at Rhu, built in 1857 to the design of local architect Thomas Gildard and at various times the home of the Muir and Hoggans families, taken from the top of the Rhu Church tower. It became the Royal Northern Yacht Club clubhouse in 1937, and in 1978 the club's name changed to the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club. Image circa 1952.
West End United 19651015 viewsHelensburgh's West End United football team which took part in the Gareloch League, which also included teams from the Faslane base, Arrochar, Garelochhead, Rosneath and Kilcreggan. The club was run by secretary Jimmy Shields for ten years, and after his death the team folded. In January 1965 picture by well known burgh photographer Bill Benzie are (back) Mr Shields, W.Ross, J.Moffat, A.Dennett (capt), T.Griffiths, J.Smith, J.Cameron, (front) K.Johansson, j.Healey, J.Mackay, J.Scullion, B.Johnston.
NOT Madeleine Smith and her family1014 viewsThis picture appears in several books and is claimed to be Madeleine Smith who was tried in 1857 for the murder of her lover, Pierre Emile L’Angelier, and her family. However experts have concluded that, while it is an image of a Victorian family, it is definitely not the Smith family.
Invergare1011 viewsInvergare, Rhu, originally named Rowaleyn, was built in 1855 to the design of architect James Smith, father of Madeleine Smith, the socialite later accused of murder, to be his family's summer home. James Smith designed, among other famous buildings, the Victoria Baths in West Nile Street (1837), the Collegiate School, Garnethill (1840), the McClellan Galleries (1855), and Bellahouston Church (1863), all in Glasgow, and Stirling Library (1863). Image circa 1912, published by M.Gordon, Row Pier.
East Clyde Street1010 viewsThe lamp standard on the left marks the entrance to the Queen's Hotel. Postmarked 1920.
Play in the Park1009 viewsChildren enjoy Hermitage Park. The Cenotaph can be seen in the distance.
1816 files on 152 page(s) 13