Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
helensburgh~0.jpg
Helensburgh Overview981 viewsThis photo card is pre-1922. To the left of St Columba Church, Sinclair Street, in the centre of the photo, is the chimney of Malig Mill, which was demolished in 1922.
1984_Rotary_golf1.jpg
Rotary Golf979 viewsMembers of Helensburgh Rotary Club with their counterparts from the Dumbarton club at Cardross Golf Club on June 27 1984 for the annual match.
The burgh members are — front: Angus Wylie (2nd from left), Gordon Mickel (right); standing: Ian Baird, Gordon Burgess, Fraser Nicol, Jim McBlane, Hamish Andrew, Gordon Hattle, Walter Bryden, David Esslemont and Angus Trail. Holding the trophies are Dumbarton's Billy Ritchie and Sam Diab, both Helensburgh residents.
Derflinger~0.jpg
End of a battleship978 viewsThe German battleship Derflinger is seen arriving at the Faslane yard of Metal Industries Ltd. on board a floating dock in 1946. Launched on June 1 1913, the battleship was scuttled at Scapa Flow on June 21 1919 and lay in 45 metres of water until it raised to the surface in July 1939 — the last of the accessible big ships scuttled at Scapa Flow. After the Second World War she was brought to the Gareloch for shipbreaking.
Old_Hel_pic.jpg
Helensburgh from the air976 viewsThe town centre area, believed to have been taken about 1920.
Mystery-group4.jpg
Mystery group975 viewsNo details are known about this picture, which was handed in to the Helensburgh Advertiser after it had been found in the street. It might be from a nursery or a children's home, perhaps in the 1950s or 60s.
1972_Helensburgh_rugby.jpg
Helensburgh 1st XV 1972972 viewsThe Helensburgh Rugby Club 1st XV pictured at Ardencaple. Standing: Peter Foster, Peter Elles, unknown, unknown, unknown, Brian Johnstone, Alasdair Glendye, Graham Heron; front: Stewart Aitken, Julian Rey, Jimmy Findlay, Dave Muir, Howard Morrison, Malcolm Bell, Alastair Baird.
Larchfield-sports-June-1935.jpg
Salute to champion966 viewsFellow competitors at the annual Larchfield School Sports Day in June 1935 and a teacher salute the champion.
Ardenconnel_House.jpg
Ardenconnel House, Rhu965 viewsA mid-1930s view of Ardenconnel House at Rhu. The B-listed mansion was built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century, and Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image by Jean M.Watson.
Larchfield-1915-w.jpg
Larchfield School 1915964 viewsBack: Colin Donald, Tom Wedgwood, Alec Young, Eric Oastler, Cyril Cameron, Amery Wedgwood, Ian McDougall, ?, ? Begg, John Gray, Henry MacFarlane, G.Baird, I.McGeoch, D.Mackenzie; 2nd back: R.H.Ottman, ? Harrison, T.Gordon, A.McGeoch, ? Gray, ? Gow, Tom MacFarlane, Edward Maclachlan, Robert Young, Ian McEwan; seated: Mr Carter, Mr Nelson, G.Balfour, N.Bruce, ? Matthew, Mrs Perkins, headmaster T.T.N.Perkins, Ronald Young, ? Ross, A.N.Paterson, Mr Pearson; front: ? Steven, Jack Macdonald, A.Paul, ? Guest, Ian Maclachlan, A.Frew, R.Angus, Donald Macdonald, L.White, Stanley Ternouth. Image supplied by Fiona Forrest (nee Maclachlan).
Ferniegair-from-east142.jpg
Ferniegair from the east963 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Larchfield-3-w.jpg
Larchfield School 1958963 viewsThe third part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
Camis_Eskan_House_1972-1.jpg
Camis Eskan House959 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
1782 files on 149 page(s) 14