Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Hermitage_1948_hockey1.jpg
Hermitage School Hockey XI 1948812 viewsThe 1947-48 hockey team pictured in June 1948. Back row: Miss Usherwood, Betty Petrie, Pat Spy, Sheena Laverock, Margaret Curtis, Jenny Burgess. Front: Lyn Blades, Daphne Ferris, Norma Watt, June James, Isobel Campbell, Cathie Sharp. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Invergare_(Rowalleyn)256.jpg
Invergare812 viewsInvergare, Rhu, originally named Rowaleyn, was built in 1855 to the design of architect James Smith, father of Madeleine Smith, the socialite later accused of murder, to be his family's summer home. James Smith designed, among other famous buildings, the Victoria Baths in West Nile Street (1837), the Collegiate School, Garnethill (1840), the McClellan Galleries (1855), and Bellahouston Church (1863), all in Glasgow, and Stirling Library (1863). Image circa 1912, published by M.Gordon, Row Pier.
Seafront_ponies2915.jpg
Seafront pony rides812 viewsRides on ponies and donkeys on Helensburgh seafront used to be very popular in summer. The image date is unknown, but the shops behind are a tobacconist, T.G.Allan Ltd., Leathar & Co., and D.H.Davidson Ltd.
Ardenvohr.jpg
Ardenvohr809 viewsThe villa Ardenvohr at Rhu, built in 1857 to the design of local architect Thomas Gildard and at various times the home of the Muir and Hoggans families, taken from the top of the Rhu Church tower. It became the Royal Northern Yacht Club clubhouse in 1937, and in 1978 the club's name changed to the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club. Image circa 1952.
Ferniegair-from-east142.jpg
Ferniegair from the east809 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
1930s-sheepdog-trials5251.jpg
Sheepdog trials808 viewsA young lady with dogs at the Helensburgh and District Sheepdog Trials at Camis Eskan Farm, circa 1930. Photo by James Russell, Alexandria.
Busy_seafront1731.jpg
Busy Seafront807 viewsA packed west esplanade on a sunny day in the summer of 1967.
Camis_Eskan_House_1972-1.jpg
Camis Eskan House806 viewsAn aerial view of Camis Eskan House, circa 1972, when it was in use as a hospital. The main part was built in 1648 by the Dennistouns, who had a royal connection through marriage. In 1836 the mansion was sold to Colin Campbell from Renfrewshire, and his descendants owned it until November 1946 when it was bought by the then Dunbartonshire County Council. Well known Helensburgh architect A.N.Paterson was commissioned by the then tenant, lawyer Leonard Gow, to modernise and extend the building in 1915. During the Second World War it was requisitioned by the Government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties, then rented to the County Council for use as a hospital for, first, TB patients, then infectious diseases, then maternity, and finally geriatric use. In 1979 it was developed for private flats and dwellings. Image supplied by Robert Reid.
Larchfield-2-w.jpg
Larchfield School 1958806 viewsThe second part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958, including headmaster Steven Hutchison. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
TS_Empress06.jpg
TS Empress805 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any one time. Image date unknown.
rusticbridge.jpg
Rustic Bridge803 viewsThe rustic bridge was in Hermitage Park. If you could see through the trees you would see the Victoria Halls. Hermitage Primary School is off to the left. Date unknown.
Craigendoran-Swim102.jpg
Pier to pier swim802 viewsEntrants in the annual Craigendoran pier to Helensburgh pier race run by Helensburgh Amateur Swimming Club are pictured on Craigendoran pier before the start. The winners were Jacqueline Craig (2nd from right) and Ken Mercer (right). Image circa 1965.
1703 files on 142 page(s) 15