Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage

Most viewed - Heritage
Old_swimming_pool0898.jpg
Outdoor Pond778 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor swimming pool with buses parked outside and West Clyde Street beyond. Date unknown.
War_veterans2.jpg
World War veterans775 viewsHelensburgh veterans of the First and Second World Wars pictured at a reunion at the burgh home of Colonel McConnell, DSO, TD (front row, centre), circa 1950. Seated in the front row, second from the left, is World War One Battle of the Somme survivor Archibald Robertson, whose granddaughter Joan Spencer supplied this image. Third from the right in the standing front row is James Taylor, who owned the Music Shop in James Street, and second from the right is Walter S.Bryden, son of Provost Sam Bryden and owner of Macneur & Bryden Ltd. and the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times.
1956-Hermitage-class.jpg
1956 Hermitage class774 viewsMrs Purdie's class at Hermitage School, Helensburgh, in 1956. Image supplied by Rosemary Edmeades (nee Rae), of Southern California, USA. She is seen third from Mrs Purdie's left.
Old_burgh_class.jpg
1920s burgh class773 viewsA 1920s Helensburgh school class photographed by W.D.Brown & Co. of West Bay Studio, Helensburgh. Any information about the people in the picture would be welcomed.
67_NY_Swim1441.jpg
1967 New Year Swim771 viewsChilly swimmers on Helensburgh pier before the start of the 1967 Ne'erday Swim. The girls are (from left) Morag Mackie, Margaret Shields, Sandy MacRitchie holding the puppy, Cynthia Mackie, Alison McLuskie, Christine Ferguson, Catherine Rennie and Irene McGhie. It is thought the boy on the right is Arthur Lawson, but the other boy's name is not known.
William-Kidston-w.jpg
William Kidston771 viewsHelensburgh benefector William Kidston, who lived in the seafront Ferniegair, is seen in this photograph of a portrait presented to him on December 5 1877 “by the Inhabitants of Helensburgh and Neighbourhood, in testimony of his indefatigable efforts in promoting the prosperity and protecting the interests of the locality”. The story of the Kidston family can be found in the People section of the main website.
Rhu_Amateurs196721.jpg
Scotland's Champions766 viewsThe famous Rhu Amateurs team which won the Scottish Amateur Cup on May 13 1967, beating Penilee United 3-1 in the final at Hampden Park, Glasgow. The scorers were Barry Irvine, then Neil Walsh with two. Team: Finlay MacDonald; Alistair Glendye, Arthur Thomson; Paul Robertson, Finlay Colquhoun (capt), Neil Walsh; Barry Irvine, Jim Shields, Joe McKell, Billy Mooney, Johnny Armstrong. 12th man: Jim Aitken.
Helensburgh-1st-XV4013.jpg
Helensburgh Rugby Club761 viewsOne of the earliest Helensburgh Rugby Club team photos, taken in October 1969. Standing (from left): Julian Rey, Douglas Grewcock, Howard Morrison, Douglas Dow, Paul Johnston, unknown, Bob Stretch; front: Alan Howat, Dave Muir, Guy Grant, the Rev Russell Davidson, Graeme Heron, Brian Johnstone, Paddy Burns, Fergus Howat.
Rosneath-Castle-and-bay.jpg
Rosneath Castle and Camsail Bay761 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London architect Joseph Bonomi, the neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Roseneath (as it was spelt then); date unknown.
Knockderry_House.jpg
Knockderry House759 viewsKnockderry House at Cove was built around 1846 as a summer retreat. In 1890 Glasgow cotton merchant David Anderson decided to upgrade the house and asked the well known architect William Leiper to draw up plans. Later it was converted to an hotel, and what is now the guest lounge and the rooms above were added at that time, along with the turrets and towers which give the house its distinctive look. The lounge bar was originally the music room and chapel. Image date unknown.
Coronation1953.jpg
Coronation tree planting758 viewsAlex Douglas, headmaster of Clyde Street School, teacher Miss Laing, and some of their pupils plant a tree outside 27 East Montrose Street, Helensburgh, to mark the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth on June 2 1953. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, now of Ontario, Canada, who is the boy holding the shovel, and taken by Alexandria press photographer Peter Leddy.
1972-Rhu-Amateurs019.jpg
Rhu Amateurs 1972757 viewsThis picture of the Rhu Amateurs 1967 Scottish Amateur Cup-winning team was taken at New Year 1972, when they lined up against a Rhu Select at Ardenconnel Park. Standing: Billy Goodall, Alistair Glendye, unknown, Finlay MacDonald, Jim Shields, Finlay Colquhoun, unknown; front: unknown, Joe McKell, unknown, unknown, unknown.
1577 files on 132 page(s) 8