Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Hermitage-staff1.jpg
Hermitage staff1480 viewsMembers of the staff of Hermitage School in East Argyle Street in the early 1960s. Back: Mr MacPhail, Miss Jamieson, unknown, Mr Patteson, Dr Simpson, Mr Brown, Archie Leitch, Mr Mackinnon, Mrs McLuskey, Miss Knox, Miss Wiltshire, Angus McWilliams; middle: Mrs Younger, Miss Howieson, Mrs Hier, Bill Yule, unknown, Mr Deuchars, Mr Smith, unknown, Mrs Betty Spy, Miss Henderson; front: unknown, Tom Murray, Mrs Purdie, Arthur Brocklebank, Miss Lennie, headmaster George Mutch, Miss Mair, David Malan, Miss Munro, Mr Barr, Miss Livesy.
Hermitage_2B_19442.jpg
2b Hermitage Higher Grade School 19441368 views5: Isobel Handyside/Sheena Henderson/Irene Halford/Ailsa Howie/Mae Shields/Edith McArthur/Nanette Sinclair. 4: Lexie Bissett/Margaret Park/Margaret Cockburn/Phyllis Manderson/Elizabeth Templeton/Jean Clow/Jean McCulloch. 3: Andrena Brown/June James/Margaret Jardine/Rena Syme/Peggy McKenzie/Mary Cameron/Norma Watt/Chrissie Kinloch. 2: Isobel Dewar/Jenny Burgess/Iris Sinclair/Julia Macleod/Mollie?/Elspeth McArthur/Betty Petrie/Mary McKinstrey. Fr: Marjorie Ryrie/Maureen Gillespie/Sheila McAlpine/Cecilia Renwick/Nan Crockett.
St_Bride_s_dance_19732724.jpg
St Bride's School Dance1338 viewsPupils and guests at the annual dance at Helensburgh's St Bride's (now Lomond) School. Circa 1973/4. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Hermitage_school_13.jpg
Hermitage School1316 viewsThe old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street. It was built in 1880 in late Gothic style for the School Board of Row on land formerly part of Hermitage House and made available by the Cramb family, and had only five headmasters. The architect was William Spence, of Ardlui, 23 Charlotte Street, who also designed both the St Columba and Rhu churches. It was replaced by Hermitage Academy at Colgrain in 1976, and demolished the following summer.
Hermitage-19624.jpg
Hermitage School Pupils 19621300 viewsSenior pupils at Hermitage School in 1962. Image supplied by Gordon Mickel.
Hermitage_School_Dance1.jpg
Pupils Dance1273 viewsA Hermitage School Dance in the 1950s. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
Shandon_Hydro-1045.jpg
Shandon Hydro1273 viewsView from the Gareloch of Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent mansion was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished. From the image collection of the late Nan Moir, of Cove.
Hermitage_demolition1633.jpg
School comes down1259 viewsPart of the old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street is demolished by Hood and Co. in July 1977.
Three-heads2.jpg
Three Heads1224 viewsDavid Arthur (left), the first headmaster of Lomond School — formed by the merger of Larchfield School for boys with St Bride's School for girls — is pictured a long serving St Bride's head, Miss Rachel Drever Smith, who retired around 1975, and a former Larchfield head who later became the Rector of a church in the Stonehaven area, the Rev Stephen Hutchison. Image supplied by David Arthur, date unknown.
Hermitage_demolition12.jpg
End of an era1181 viewsPart of the old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street is demolished by Hood and Co. in July 1977.
Wolseley-Garage.jpg
Bandstand and Garage1179 viewsA view of the Helensburgh seafront bandstand with the Granary building in the distance during the period that it was a Garage and Wolseley Depot, circa 1920.
1901-pierhead~3.jpg
View from pier 19011169 viewsThis view from the pierhead looking up Colquhoun Street was taken in 1901, but it is not known why a large crowd had gathered and what they were looking at. The shops are Robert Brown's wines and spirits and Lachlan McLachlan's very popular bakery. In 1929 the building which housed the two shops was demolished to allow the National Bank of Scotland to be built, and Lachlan McLachlan moved his business to Garelochhead where he worked until his death in 1951. Image supplied by Pat Drayton.
1633 files on 137 page(s) 1